Saturday, February 21, 2009

Team Training for FEB 21

It was another cold start to the training today, which consisted of an eight mile route ending up back at Byrd Park, followed by a 4 mile route. Our Shamrockers are only 4 weeks away from their race, while those of us doing Nashville are 9 weeks away. I ended up running quite a bit of the 12 miles, but also walked several miles of it in 6 minute spurts. The last 4 mile portion, I ran with Nicki, who is a great gal in addition to being a fellow lymphoma survivor and a fellow TNT marathoner. In just 4 weeks, she will have another marathon under her belt.

It never did get warm, but because of the unique route today, I took advantage of getting back at the park to drop one of my two shirts off at my car. I know I can't do that at a race, but I am glad I could this time, because both shirts were totally soaked through.





Here are some photos from training today.


Nice stone arch at Bellevue and Hermitage


Union Theological Seminary


"Take me out to the Ballgame." Connecticut the Big Indian waits in vain for peanuts and crackerjacks! No more baseball at The Diamond, now that the Braves have left town!

The Carillon at Byrd Park, built to honor the sacrifices of the World War I generation



Nicki and Coach Chuck just ahead of me on the 4 mile portion of our training route. Yes, Chuck can run faster backwards that I can run forwards.



Chris and me. When I was in school, Christopher Columbus was a hero. Today, he seems more of a villain. My guess is that the truth is he is something in between. I doubt I will ever be in the history books or have a statue, but I hope when I am pushing up daisies, my friends and family will remember me as a good person who tried to make a difference.

Nicki and Art after our 12 miles. It was great to run with her for the last 4. This Friday marks 12 years in remission for Nicki!



We are all lymphoma survivors doing Team in Training and raising money for a great cause - Art, Kristi, Nancy, and Nicki. Kristi and I are doing Nashville together, Nicki and Nancy are doing Shamrock. I am proud to be their teammate!

4 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

How can you remember to take a camera to training? I can barely get there with the team supplies! What is that bright looking thing int he background? Ha

CoachLiz said...

HOWDY ART!!!

Ok, after reading your blog I thought to myself,"What am I going to ask???" You have done such a good job of putting down in writing all of the events and relationships that have held great meaning for you. But fear not, I have some good questions to ask for this interview.

1. If I could only visit one National Park, which one would you recommend to me? Explain. How should I plan for my trip? (P.S., I have not been to the ones you highlighted but I would love to go to them all)

2. What has been the funniest, craziest, or wackiest thing that you have seen during a marathon that you have done? Explain.

3. What is the one essential piece of training gear or clothing that you could not live without? Explain.

4. If you had a spare day to take in a tray of cookies and a thank you note to the hospital where you received your treatment, who would you give them to? Why are they the most deserving of this gift? Explain.

5. You have been given an all expense paid trip for a week to any where in the world for you and a guest. Where would you go and who would go with you? What would you want to do or see when you got there? Explain.

To play along:
1. Leave me a comment saying, Interview me".
2. I will respond by giving you five questions (I get to pick the questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions and include these five statements.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking it out. I had a great time reading yours. Good luck as you start tapering down and preparing for the Country Music Half and Full Marathon. You do not know how much you are an inspiration to the participants, the coaches, the families of the other Honored Teammates, and most importantly the Honored Teammates. It is miracles such as yourself that keep me committed to TNT for life so that no one will have to watch a person that they love suffer with such tremendous pain that cannot be fathomed.

You are a Hero Art. Today, you are my hero!

Coach Liz

o2bhiking said...

Hey there, Coach Liz. Thanks for visiting. Those are great questions, and I am going to have to think those over a bit. Good thing this interview isn't live on TV, eh? Especially, I am going to have to search my memory banks for #2 and think very hard about #5 - because there are so many places to see.

Thanks for your kind words. I am no hero, just a guy lucky enough to survive what so many others don't, and to have been inspired by that experience to try to make a difference for others. I enjoyed reading your blog - you are having some pretty awful experiences along with the good ones - but anyone who can do an Ironman and also survive that retchid LA marathon experience will be OK.

Thanks for being a coach - your other blog with coaching advice for your team sounds great. I am going to let our coaches know about it because they have been mulling over that kind of thing. I try to do some of that with this blog for my mentees.

Have a wonderful day! Death to the body-invading worms! Art

o2bhiking said...

Coach Ken - I decided that I just must take a camera along because there are so many sights. Also, I plan on taking my camera along for the event - even if it takes a couple of minutes off my time it is worth it to grab the memories - and so it is good to train with the camera to get the feel of it.

That bright looking thing is known as "the sun." Don't be afraid of it, because eventually it will visit your area as well. It can actually be rather pleasant. :)