Monday, February 16, 2009

Seeing Red!

Valentine’s Day is always a special day for our team – most of us try to wear something red or pink. Our run coaches both wore shorts with red hearts on them. I would have liked to have gotten a photo, but I was a little late from putting out my water stop at “The Wall”.

We had a very special guest Saturday – Emma and her mom, Holly. Emma is loved by the whole team. February 14, 2009 marks the 8th anniversary of remission from leukemia (A.L.L.) for this little girl. She developed it when she was only 10 weeks old, and no one in her family expected this little baby to survive. I have heard Emma’s story many times over the past five years, but am always moved by it, and by the photos that Holly passed around of her baby in such misery from chemotherapy. Now Emma is a healthy girl, and a delight to see.

Our routes today were 6, 9, 13 and 18 miles. Mine was only 9, both due to later plans and to the fact that I am considering cutting back mileage to do the half marathon. My route was along Grove to the always delightful Westhampton area, then up Maple and along Patterson for a while, returning along the same route. I am now running seven minutes and walking 6.

Back at the park, I enjoyed the Valentine cookies that Nicki baked for us, and had a real treat – running into some of the Summer Team, especially Michal. She was my training buddy my first year with TNT and my walk coach last year. I miss training with her! I also saw my former mentee, Cathy, who has switched to the Summer Team to do the Anchorage Marathon. And I met a new Nashville teammate, Liz. She will be walking the half but just joined the team and so is training with the Summer Team. Victoria, one of the mentors, and Summer Coach Chuck and Coach Sarah were also there. So it was like a quick little reunion.

Here are a few photos from the day:

Art with Honored Patient Emma, both showing Valentine colors

Everyone in Richmond TNT knows exactly what is meant by “The Wall”, a popular water drop at Grove and Bunting

The Confederate Memorial Chapel on Grove near the Art Museum

Some of the Summer (mostly) Team. From left: Summer Coach Chuck, New Nashville Teammate Liz, My Walk Buddy Michal – Who is the Summer Team Walk Coach, Spring Coach Chuck (our Team Coach for Nashville), and Former Mentee and Fund-Raising Machine Cathy

3 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Art, what a great way to celebrate VD. Since we don't have the luxury of wearing shorts and warm weather apparel, I guess everyone could have worn red winter coats. How's the coaching job going?

Katie said...

So great to read about Emma -- such an inspiration!

I've been a little behind in my blog reading lately, but wanted to say a big "THANKS" for your support & advice for my ankle! The brace is really helping (or maybe it's the Advil?), so I'm hopeful I'll see big improvements soon. And potentially switching TEAMs might be something to look into if it doesn't heal fast ...

Oh, and did you save me any Valentine cookies?? ;-)

o2bhiking said...

Katie - glad you are getting some improvement. I will email you a cookie, OK? Yep - Emma is one special little girl. She is a walking medicial miracle, and has already done a triathlon (for little kids, but that is more than I can say).

Ken - it was too cold here for shorts too, but they wore them over their long pants. I am mentoring but not coaching, and that is going fine. Sounds like your coaching is going well. We really depend on our coaches, all through TNT. You won't be at Nashville, will you? It would be fun to meet! Art