Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another Tough Training Week

I woke up Sunday morning with a cold, my second since training started. I took Sunday as a rest day, although I did walk a couple of miles in a park. Monday night, I went to water aerobics for my cross training. Tuesday evening, I ran and walked about 4 miles. So far, so good. I was keeping to my training schedule.

Yesterday, my cold was much worse, and I felt that doing 6 miles of training just wasn’t feasible, especially since I felt bad enough to miss work. That also spared my co-workers from being sneezed and coughed on all day. I slept in this morning, figuring I could do some miles at night.

Then, about 10:00 at work, I started a migraine headache, my first in just over a month. I put a sign on my door at work, – “On Sick Leave” – turned off all the lights, and lay on the floor for an hour. I also took two Excedrin Migraine, which seem to work about 1/3 of the time. Today, they and the hour off seemed to work, and I never got the pounding headache and nausea I usually get.

Bottom line – I was able to run and walk my six miles tonight – probably closer to 5.5 actually. And as a bonus, about half of it was in daylight! It was mild but extremely windy, with enough wind at times to result in minor wind chill despite the mild temperatures. At the end, I celebrated with a bowl of spicy chili and a cold Anchor Steam beer. I felt like I had earned the beer, training with both a cold and the leftovers of a migraine!

Given all that transpired, I guess I did well to only miss about 4 miles of training this week. Hopefully next week will be better.

2 comments:

Elayne said...

Way to go Art! My husband and I always say "when we feel the worst, that is the time we have to run".
It sure makes the good days that much better!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Mama said there would be days like this. You got something in, and that's important.