Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rain and Migraine

It was a dark and stormy night….. No, really, it was! That is how it felt tonight, running and walking for four miles. The skies alternated between heavy clouds, then moderate rain, then open areas with a moon like a spotlight, and finally, leaden clouds that dumped a cold, drenching rain while winds gusted up to about 25 knots. I was drenched and chilled when I got home. But it still felt good, because it was my first workout in four days.

I took last Saturday off as my rest day after doing 10 miles on Friday, then was going to do weights Sunday while watching some football. But in the late morning, I developed a migraine – my first in several months. I had forgotten what fun they are. On Monday, I still had it, and so I took off work. Monday night, I was feeling better, and put the finishing touches to the story about the little red devil and the little white angel, which I had worked on touch and go for a week or so. But I did not feel well enough to do water aerobics, my scheduled activity, or run.

Sunday night the rains started, and it has been raining more or less continually since. Having the migraine gave me a convenient excuse to stay indoors, but then I was feeling pretty good Tuesday morning and went to work. I watched the rain coming down and realized that I would get pretty wet that night training. Again, saved – if one wants to call it that – by a migraine, which came on suddenly and viciously. My head felt like it was being split and I felt sick to my stomach. I left work mid-afternoon, and lay in bed in the dark for a couple of hours. I felt well enough that night to write my note to my mentees.

Today, while I don’t feel great, I did get in a full day at work and with 11 miles coming up Saturday with the team, I really had to train. The weather cooperated only a little – the moon was out during the short portion of my 4 miles when I was moving through woods on a trail. I was excited that the rain was stopping and made the mistake of thinking it too earnestly, as suddenly the high winds and heavy, cold rain started back up.

Even so, I will take being soaked and cold, getting some exercise, over having a migraine. So I am grateful to be moving around again!

3 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Art, I can't imagine doing what you're doing with migraines! Keep up the great work.

Elsbeth said...

Hope you're feeling better, Art.

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Ken and Elsbeth. I am feeling pretty good. My migraine was over yesterday otherwise I would not have run. Today I did running on a treadmill for a couple of miles, then 50 minutes of water aerobics, then a mile walk to the store and back. So I am doing just great. Thanks. Art