Friday, January 2, 2009

Double Digit Day

A year ago, double digit mileage workouts were the norm, and 12 – 20 mile workouts happened every Saturday. This time last year, I was less than two weeks away from the Arizona Marathon. But that was then, and this is now. What was easy 12 months ago no longer is.

I’m at the beach for a couple of days, and will miss the team workout tomorrow. So I decided to do my Saturday workout today, and take tomorrow as my “rest day”. On the docket was 10 miles, my longest distance since the marathon last January - even a bit longer than my 9.6 mile hike to Rip Rap Hollow last July.

I left my water belt at home by mistake, and that made a tough ten miler a little tougher. It was colder than I expected, but I had left the gloves behind thinking that it would be too warm - forecast was for mid-50's but it was nothing like that - low 30's without the frequent wind chill. I wore a vest over my long sleeved shirt with a tee over that, and so my arms were cold. My ears were cold. My hands were cold. My nose ran constantly (TMI?). I did a mix of running and walking, slanted toward walking because I could shove my hands in my pockets. I started off with five minutes of running and five of walking, but after a couple of miles I switched to five minutes of running and ten of walking.

The route I ran and walked was five miles north along the beach and then five miles back. It was scenic and very flat, but especially coming back into a brisk wind was tough and cold. Since I couldn’t carry water, I stopped at a store 6.5 miles into the training to buy a bottle of Gator Aid. My hands were so cold that I asked the lady at the register to open the bottle for me. Then I had a bulky bottle to carry, although it fit reasonable well in the pocket of my vest.

It took me 126 minutes to go 10 miles (not counting 4 minutes in the store looking for Gator Aid). So given about a 1/3 running, 2/3 walking mix, I feel fairly good about that pace. It felt like a difficult workout, in part because of the cold and wind. But it also feels good to be back in double digit territory. Plus, even though I was really glad to be done and was very tired, I know that if I had to, I could do a half marathon - but I am a very long way from being ready for a full marathon, if that is what I choose to do.

It was also a reminder of how much harder it is to do long miles by oneself rather than with teammates.

Note to self: BUY BODY GLIDE!!!!!!!!! Major chafing! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! And next time, bring the water belt and gloves!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Kudos on getting out there and running, especially while you were at the beach!!! I'm soaking in the sunshine while it's here -- cold runs can be miserable.

Elsbeth said...

Way to go, Art!

I'm proud of you for finishing- too many people would have used the no-hydration/body glide as an excuse to not do it. Way to power through!

Kerry said...

Hey Art...way to go! Happy New Year and thanks for the Email.
Kerry

Alexander said...

Keep up the running. It's tough in cold weather. I started running short distances until I could run up to 3 miles non-stop. I'm not a run / walker. Initially I was "slower", but as I ran more frequently my form improved, I became a more efficient runner. I also became faster. Running with a running club helped motivate me to get faster. The endurance built up until now I can knock off a 13 miler anytime, anyplace, and it doesn't take long for me to build up to marathon condition. I will be running the RocknRoll AZ marathon in 2 weeks. I'm excited about joining the Ironteam and I'm really psyched about 2009.

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Elsbeth - it is always easy to find an excuse not to do something, and I do that at times - but not this time.

Thanks Katie - enjoy that sunshine. I always have a tough time with workouts in the cold because I end up partly too warm and partly too cold.

Thanks Kerry - Happy New Year to you.

Thanks for the running advice, Alexander. I think part of my problem is finding a pace that works, and then getting in more running miles, and sticking to it.

To all, Happy New Year!