Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Training at “O-Dark Hundred”

I did my first real “O-Dark Hundred” training of the season Monday morning, getting out there five minutes after 4:30 AM. Because of a predicted ice storm Tuesday, I decided to do my Tuesday miles on Monday, and use Tuesday as a weight and cross training day. Prior to yesterday, the earliest I have trained this year was about 4:45.

It feels strange to be up and about that early, the first of many times I will do so over the next three months if I am going to keep up with training. I only had just over five miles to do, but actually woke before the alarm, and decided to get an earlier start by about 15 minutes. You feel like you are the only person alive in the world, and I didn’t see a single soul or car during the training. It was very dark, with no moon and the sky coated in leaden clouds and air that felt of snow, even though there wasn’t any precipitation until more than 24 hours later.

Part of my route went through a wooded park, and I always need to walk, not run, that section when it is dark, as it would be easy to turn an ankle on the trail. Somewhere in a nearby neighborhood, a dog became very agitated to hear me moving through the woods at such an early hour, and began barking continuously. I am sure the neighbors were thrilled. It was a cool morning – mid-20’s – but I sweated through my three layers from the exertion. Back home by 5:45, I had plenty of time to stretch, watch a little TV, and drink a mug of hot tea before getting a shower – a rare luxury.

It is easy to wish at times that I were sleeping in a warm bed instead of out training so early, but all I have to do is think of the people suffering from cancer. At the exact hour I am up so early training, there are thousands of people getting up to go to chemo, surgery, or radiation. There are people who have been awake all night because they are sick or fearful, or because all the drugs keep them awake. There are people who are dying from cancer while I train, and those left behind grieving them. These sentiments where the motivation behind my poem, “Relentless”, and I try not to forget them, even if I am tired at that time of day. Training at “O-Dark Hundred” is far easier than dealing with cancer, and I am grateful to be healthy enough be able to do this.

On the other hand, should I win the lottery tonight and not have to work anymore, sleeping in until 6 or so and then going out to do my miles would suit me just fine!

2 comments:

Cures Rock! said...

Thanks for this post. It's a reminder of why we are all out there running for a Cause. Or, as TNT likes to say, "If you think this is hard, try chemo." Wow...I'm a night runner, so I can't imagine running that early...eek! I think the 6am TNT runs are about as early as I get. LOL. And, we don't have snow here in CA.

o2bhiking said...

Well, the weather was awful this morning so I thought I would run tonight, but it is just as bad. Nasty day! But I have to get in at least some of my 7 miles with 14coming up this weekend.

Good point on the chemo vs marathon. Here is a fund raising note I did on that topic for my last marathon. I know you can relate, as can any cancer survivor:

http://racn4acure.blogspot.com/2008/06/if-you-think-marathon-is-tough-try.html