Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Musings

I’ll just throw out a hodge-podge of thoughts tonight.

First, TGIF!!! Two days off from work, and even better, a training free day! My legs are always a little tired by Friday. This morning, I even took the elevator at work, seven floors up, which I almost never do. With 14 miles to do come morning, I tried to take it easy today, but still put over 9,000 steps on my pedometer.

Tomorrow, Team Richmond does a road trip to train with Team Charlottesville, about 70 miles from here. I imagine we will all be starved after training and will do a team meal – guilt-free calories. It is supposed to be fairly cold – low 20s – but dry, which sounds fine after the mess we had earlier this week.

Miles for the week: In the last seven days (Friday to Thursday), I trained 30.3 miles and traveled on foot a total of about 54.4 miles. That translates to just over 100,000 steps in 7 days.

I really need new shoes! Mine are about 15 months old and I did the Arizona Marathon in them over a year ago! I was blogging about needing new shoes months ago!

I got all my training done this week, even though Wednesday’s seven miles was on the treadmill, a rarity for me as most miles I do are outdoors. But I can see doing some more treadmill sessions – I like the idea of keeping an exact running pace while I try to figure out the best pace for continuing to do more running. Somewhere in there is a running pace that I can maintain for a much longer distance. When I run outside, I must go just a bit faster than is comfortable, because I usually start to get winded within 5 – 7 minutes.

Finally, I signed up for the Monument Avenue 10K for the fifth year in a row. I am shooting to beat last year’s PR of about 1 hour 9 minutes. It is an amazingly fun race – 35,000 runners and walkers. For the first time, Team in Training will have a fund-raising team in this race, so I will look for the Purple People and cheer them on when I run this race.

2 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Dude, you have to get some shoes, it will take a toll on your legs! Sounds like the fun is only beginning for you. Don't you love road trips?

o2bhiking said...

I think I need to take your advice, Coach Ken! As the miles increase, it is taking a bit of a toll. Yep, road trips are a lot of fun - ours this morning was a blast.