Monday, January 12, 2009

The Recession Story You Won’t See

My Fellow Americans, and Citizens of the World:

The presidential election is over, it is a New Year, and a new president will be inaugurated shortly. Through all this, my 2009 Cancer Kickin’ Campaign rolls on. I have given all of you a nice holiday from my updates, but have been fund-raising in different ways through that time. Thanks to so many generous people, my campaign has now raised nearly $4,200 – almost 30% of my goal. This money goes towards the vital mission of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: to cure blood cancers and to provide services and support to those afflicted with these awful diseases. So if you are one of my many generous donors, thanks again, very much. To see how I am doing or to make a donation, you can go to my TNT Web Page:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/va/cmc09/aritter

For those of us doing Team in Training, there is no extended holiday. Not only are we fund-raising, but we are training. I ran on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year’s Day. I’ve run in the dark, in daylight, on warm days, on cold days, on sunny days, and in the rain. Saturday, I ran and walked 11 miles, the longest distance I have gone since the Arizona Marathon a year ago. I am grateful to be healthy enough to do so.

Most of my recent fund raising activities are related to our team silent auction, January 21st at 6PM at Big Al’s. I’ll be there along with my running mates. If you live in the Richmond area, please come. Not only is it Burger Night there (hey, you have to eat, right?) and Ladies Night, but we will have a large number of spectacular items to auction off: restaurant coupons, nights at hotels, entertainment, sports memorabilia, jewelry, and merchandise of many kinds. So come have fun, get a great burger or other good food, support a fantastic cause, and buy something that you would like to have. For more information, go to this section of my blog:

http://racn4acure.blogspot.com/2008/12/come-to-our-silent-auction.html

We are in a terrible recession right now. Layoffs by the thousands. Stock market crashes. Bernie Madoff who made off with billions. The collapse of the financial firms and the subsequent bailout. The bailout of the “Big Three”. The burst housing bubble. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that the same recession that affects everyone also affects charitable organizations like the LLS. So even though it feels especially difficult to ask for donations in these times, those of us doing Team in Training actually need to try harder in a recession. If you have donated already, thank you. If you are considering donating, thank you. And if you are not in a position right now to donate, but you may by April and you take the time to read my messages or blog and reflect on the fact that blood cancers kill someone in this country every 10 minutes, then thank you.

Every day, there seems to be a new and dreadful story about the recession. But here is one story that you won’t see:

“Washington, DC. January 13, 2009. Cancer in Recessionary Plunge! Annual figures released late yesterday by the government confirmed the recent fears of analysts: cancer rates have plunged 37.5%! This news caused near panic in many parts of the country, and American Cancer Futures opened 48% lower. Analysts are worried that this same trend will spread to the European and Asian markets, and indications are that Cancer Futures there will be down sharply. Experts from the National Institute of Health have no explanation for this trend. Dr. Sammy Samuel Samuelson from NIH was quoted as saying, ‘If this trends continues, we could see cancer virtually gone by 2011! It looks like the same recessionary pressures that have hit homes, banks, auto companies, and Christmas shoppers have now come home to roost in cancer.’ There are fears that oncology centers will be the latest group to ask for a federal bailout.”

No, cancer is definitely not in recession. In fact, some cancers, including lymphomas, are on the increase. However, cancer death rates have declined due to medical advances. Donations to support the work of LLS are one way of continuing this trend. So thanks again for your donation, or for considering my request to donate. Ultimately, there will be cures for most cancers, and when that day arrives you will have helped to make it so if you joined my Cancer Kickin’ Campaign.

I hope I see many of you at our Silent Auction on January 21st, 6PM, at Big Al’s. It will be a lot of fun. Come out and say hi to me and my running mates!

Best wishes,
Art

“Art Ritter in 2009 – He Will Go the Distance for You!”

2 comments:

Katie said...

GREAT post -- I was just having a similar conversation with my mom this afternoon. Now more than ever the LLS needs help in raising much needed funds. Wish I could be there for burger night -- eat two for me!! :-)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Art, I'm passing on most of your post to all of my mentors. Great job!