Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gimme Five (Degrees)!

The mercury read about 5 degrees Fahrenheit this morning at the start of training. I have done TNT five times since 2005, including one season as a non-participating mentor, and have trained in the months of December, January, and/or February every time, but this set a low temperature record by a good 10 degrees. As cold as it was in Ole Virginney, I can't imagine what TNT athletes up north were facing today.

I wore briefs, long underwear, and my running pants on the bottom, and two long sleeved shirts, a tee, and a fleece on top. I had a winter hat on my head, gloves, and a turtle fleece around my neck. I had hand warmers in my gloves, and it still took about two miles before my finger tips were not feeling frozen. It was just plain cold. Despite running shoes and one pair of socks, my feet never felt cold.

Because we had both walk coaches and a walk mentor show up, I decided walk the whole 12.5 miles. One coach and my mentor did about half of that, so after that point it was Coach Kristi and me. Theresa, my awesome mentor, gave us a bag of gummy worms when she left us. Coach Kristi is a Hodgkin survivor like me, although unlike me, she was pregnant at the time of her diagnosis. She is also a faster walker than I am, even though I can book along at 13.5 – 14 minutes per mile. So that pushed me a little bit to go faster, and there were some miles that we averaged a 12.75 minute pace, which was great.

The route today is so nice, with beautiful river views for much of it, and interesting neighborhoods to walk and run through. Originally, I planned to bring my camera but it was just too cold. We saw some cool woodpeckers, a large flock of some kind of diving duck, other types of ducks and geese, and some other songbirds. It is a very hilly route, which is good preparation for Nashville, we hear.

The Gator Aid we left out turned to slush, my water bottle froze, and my power bar felt like a piece of iron when I tried to bite it, even though I had it in my pants pocket right against my thigh. I put it inside my second shirt, and after about 10 minutes, I could gnaw small pieces off of it. The pace we set let to a feeling reasonably warm, other than my fingers at times and my face. I would periodically take off my glasses and pull the turtle fleece over my mouth and icy nose. Leaving my glasses on and trying this caused them to totally fog over. The fast pace led to plenty of sweating, and my four layers soaked through, then the sweat froze on the back of my fleece with a white frosting. Kristi drew a happy face in the frost at one point.

It was not very windy, which was a blessing. Despite the cold, it felt great to be alive and to be healthy enough to go over 12 miles over a very pretty route. Several teammates went 14 miles and two of them, Rose and Nicole, did their longest distance ever, which was exciting. We were all cold but no one froze, and Jamie made double fudge brownies for the team – that alone was worth going 12 miles for!

6 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Art, your TNT teammates up north braved through colder temps and some snow mixed in, but we did it! Let's hope for some warmer days ahead.

Kerry said...

I love that Art..Your such an inspiration as are those around you.
Yes its been darn cold up here in the north. The other morning it was -16. Downright cold.
Thanks for your comments and kindness. I agree I would do things times ten to be here right now. Was so worth the effort.

Katie said...

Brrrrr that's cold!! Kudos for getting out there and braving the downright freezing weather. And gummy worms, huh? Is that a new secret to refueling? :-) Because they're my favorite candy and any excuse to eat them is a good one!

Elayne said...

Hi Art~ well, there is just not really any excuse I could come up with here in Texas for not running. We had windows open today and 70 degrees. My husband and I got in 4 miles yesterday,which was about the same weather wise.
I admire all of you that train up north! I actually love running in the cold, I do my best runs that way... but we are talking Texas cold :)
Great job Art~ Happy running!
Elayne

Cures Rock! said...

Hi Art,

The next time our team complains that it's "too cold" to run on a Saturday morning, I'll pull out your blog post. ;) We are suuurreee spoiled here in San Diego! We were complaining it was too HOT at our last practice. lol.

Good luck with the training. Due to my injury, I'm out from the marathon, so i'll now be a cheerleader. :( But, I'll be back with TNT for the San Diego & Seattle Marathons in May/June!

Julie

Jennifer said...

Wow that's cold! So I guess the 48 degree SF Bay water that I'll be swimming in is actually nice bathtub temperature compared to the temps that you run in! I'll learn to suck it up better when I think I'm training in cold temperatures.