Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mentoring E-Mail # 13

Happy Day After Groundhog Day, my Fantastic Mentees!

‘Tis I, your Artful Mentor, with my weekly message to you! I was speaking at the Summer Team Kick-off tonight, and almost had decided to defer writing you until tomorrow. I came home, ate a bowl of soup and some yogurt, and thought it would be nice to relax a bit. “I’ll just write my mentees tomorrow,” thought I. But then these visions went through my head… My mentees, eagerly awaiting my weekly message with the enthusiasm and glee of young children awaiting Santa Claus at Christmas. Some moments of anxiety when my note had not yet come. “Surely my Artful Mentor will not forget me!” The anxiety turning into outright dismay, as you stare at your blank computer screen. The tears coming, slowly at first, then in a torrent, when you realize that my note will not be arriving tonight. No, it is too much, and my conscience will not bear it. So I am writing you tonight instead of resuming the thriller I am reading.

I have photos from our Charlottesville training on my blog:

http://racn4acure.blogspot.com/2009/01/fourteen-hilly-miles-in-cville.html

I don’t know about you, but after those hilly miles Saturday, I feel like I am dealing with a nagging quad injury. So what better time for Dr. (and Coach, and TNT Triple Crown Holder) Tim’s injury prevention clinic! I’ve attached a document about parking. But here is some additional information, the type of thing I often ignore and then later wish I hadn’t. So don’t be like your Artful Mentor – read this stuff and commit it to memory!

Injury Prevention Clinic - Thursday 2/5 at 7 pm - VCU Sports Medicine building

Important Information regarding clinic:
Some tips on the attached map. Please note that you can not turn left off of Broad into the parking lot. You may turn left onto Bowe St and then turn right into the alley behind the building or continue to Marshall St. and turn right and then right into the parking lot.

Please park only in spots marked for "VCU Sports Medicine PATIENT" or "Student Health" right behind the building. Please do not to park in the physician spots as they get mad! The spots closer to the Seigel Center are "UU Lot" and you may be ticketed for parking there.

I am proud of how each of you is tackling your fund-raising. I’ve heard a number of imaginative and creative ideas that you are using. Keep plugging away. I know that the Shamrockers are in good shape. You Country Music folk have about 3 more weeks before recommitment, so you will want to make a big push to maximize fund-raising by that point. Obviously, you want a minimum of 25% by then, but it is better to think in terms of trying to hit 50%. It will make the remaining fund raising push that much less stressful. Please, call or email me if you need help. I have not heard from any of you about doing a brainstorming session with Nicki, but if you would benefit from that, let me know.

Finally, if you still have auction items, Nicki is working on a second auction, probably in conjunction with the newly formed summer team. More details will be forthcoming.

For my mission moment, I am going to share news about multiple myeloma that I found so encouraging. It affirmed that we are making a difference with all of our hard work! Read about it here:

http://racn4acure.blogspot.com/2009/02/taming-multiple-myeloma.html

I hope I see you all at the injury prevention clinic! And I will be at training this coming Saturday!

GO TEAM!
Art

No comments: