Saturday, February 7, 2009

Checking My Y-Chromosome at the Door

My training schedule today called for 16 miles. But my legs were so sore after last Saturday’s training in Charlottesville that it was painful even to walk for several days, and the only miles I did all week were four on Thursday morning. By Thursday, they no longer felt sore. So how many should I do today – 16 or 11 (or some number in between)? The 30-something year old guy in me said to do 16. The little red devil said to do 16. The 57 year old man that I actually am said to do 16, although maybe 13 would be better. But the little white angel said to do 9. And the 10 year old boy in me said to heck with this running, let’s go play ball or something. I discussed my lack of activity for the week with Coach Vicki and she said to do 11. I said “Well, what about if I am feeling pretty good, should I do 13?” Her sensible reply was to do 11 – I hadn’t gotten in any real training to speak of, and there is plenty of time before the marathon.

I checked my Y-chromosome at the door, swallowed my male pride and did 11.

Coach Chuck led us in some warm up exercises: "wiping the goose poo off our shoes", "Frankensteins", "Butt kicks", and "Over the fence". Then he led us in a team cheer, and we did a warm-up 0.4 mile lap around the lake, and headed towards the Fan. From there we ran down Monument Avenue to the West, and zig-zagged down to Westhampton, reaching the half-way point at Patterson and Libby right in front of the Westhampton Pastry Shop. I stiffled a sob as I glanced into the window of this amazing bakery, seeing the incredible baked goods on display. I turned around to head back and chewed on a power bar, fantasizing that it was one of their delicious donuts.

It was a mercifully flat route, 5.5 miles out and 5.5 miles back. It was cold at first, but gradually warmed up, so it was one of those days that it is tough to dress for. At some point, you are going to be too hot or too cold. The team was spread all over the place today – some of us were doing 9, 11, 13, and 16 miles. Many of the team are fighting painful injuries as the miles and the pounding add up. I feel pretty good after this mileage, although it is clear now how badly worn out my old shoes are. The difference in the new ones and the old ones is so notable. I will have to make a real effort to break in the new ones this week, so I can wear them for next Saturday's long training. My feet and legs seemed to jar everytime they hit the pavement. It is also clear that 11 miles was a good choice, now that I am running more often but hadn't done much training all week. 16 miles would have been too much today.

Here are a few photos from the morning:


Lexi and Leslie, two of my mentees, have recommited to Shamrock in Virginia Beach. They both have done great with their fundraising!

Sunrise just before training with Swan Lake in the foreground.

Some of the team chatting and stretching before training

General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson guards the approach to Monument Avenue.

1 comment:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Coach A, you shouldn't be sore from last Saturday's training, that's not allowed. Good decision to run shorter miles. We actually had warmer temps but wind.