Sunday, December 14, 2008

Seven Miles with the Team

Yesterday, we had our team training once more, as we do every Saturday morning. It was another cold start to the day, the temperatures being in the low 20’s at the start. It was one of those days where you will be too hot, too cold, or both simultaneously – kind of like if your feet are in the oven and your head in the refrigerator, on average you will be quite comfortable.

I really like this team, but of course, I have really liked every team that I have trained with. I go back a ways with several people on the team. Coach Vicki was the run coach on two of my prior teams. Coach Chuck was my roommate in Arizona, and waited for me at the finish line after he ran his marathon. Theresa is my mentor, and we trained on the winter team together last year. Coach Kristi, the walk coach, is also a Hodgkin lymphoma survivor, and we have trained together in the past. Nicki and I were on the 2006 San Diego marathon team together, and Paul trained for Disney last year while I trained for Arizona with the winter team.

We did four to seven miles as a group. I was in the seven mile group, which is probably about as far as I have run and walked since the Arizona Marathon, other than a hike or two. I am still trying to decide between running and walking, so again did a mix of the two. The walk team is very small, the run team is good size, and I seem to be the only one combining the two. So for the running part, I was usually running with some of the group. For the walking part I was by myself for the most part. I am approximating that I ran about 4 miles and walked about 3. The route was enjoyable - through Byrd Park, up past the Carillion, along Douglasdale towards the University of Richmond Stadium, and then through Windsor Farms, one of Richmond's loveliest neighborhoods. We ended up heading up Locke to Grove, and the along Grove a few blocks past "The Wall" as we call it.

It was a very good workout, and I have some soreness today from the running part. So I took it easy today. Tomorrow is soon enough for another workout.

After training, we had our nutrition and stretching clinic, which is always good information.

No comments: