Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holly and Amanda's Amazing Race - Part 2

Note from Art - this is the part 2 about my friends Holly and Amanda and their participation in the JFK 50 miler. Holly's text is in black, her mother's in blue.

The next checkpoint will be mile 34.4 & we have to be past it by 2:45. We worried about this one, but thankfully we breeze in & out with time to spare. Next up, mile 38.4 by 4:00. This station is known as the 38-special. Here they serve up extra goodies like potatoes, soup & Mt. Dew. There are so many spectators cheering, it is a great stop. It helps that we continue to pass through with time to spare. About half a mile down the trail we find my mom. She is so happy to see us. She proclaims us her heroes (or maybe superheroes we decide a little later) & gives us more hugs. This portion of the trail has no protection from the wind, which is gusting. It is freezing! Mom is bundled up in a blanket & Emma sits in the warm car watching movies. At the sight of us, Emma is out of the car to give big hugs. At this point we pick up our headlamps as we will not being seeing mom & Emma again until the finish…

Mondell, Mile 38. 38! Another spot along the C&O canal. This was a fun spot as there were several bicyclers with radios and CD players playing loud up-beat music. Emma stayed in the warm car and watched another DVD. I was able to park right where I was waiting and could keep an eye on her andwatch for my team at the same time. Again, 1/2 hour before cut off there they were. Exchanged gear, gave my girls their head lamps and off they went, spirits high. They looked in great shape.

It is this point where we really start to focus on getting off the C&O. At Dam #4, 41.8 miles & about 4:30, we reach the checkpoint/aid station, pick up our reflective vests, do a little dance, and sing a little song & happily wave goodbye to the C&O!

Mile 50, finish line. We arrived at the finish line with about 3 hours till quitting time. Gathered up our gear and headed to the school cafeteria where we waiting until about 1 hour prior to 7 PM. We went outside, cheered on the runners as they came across the finish line. We were surprised to hear that two runners were 80 years old! Most of the runners seemed to be between 35-55 years old.

Our celebration does not last long. Up until this point, the course has had no mile markers except at aid stations. It is here on these back country roads, with 8 miles to go, they start to count down. While we celebrate each one, it grows harder & harder to do anything. The sun has set. The already cold temperatures have dropped. Our bodies are struggling to regulate our body temperatures & we are freezing. Our conversations grow thin. We walk. When someone runs past we are amazed…they usually stop to walk shortly thereafter. We run & we walk. Our runs are more likely to be described as a shuffle, but it is all that we can pull out. We walk faster then we have ever walked during training. It hurts to walk, so we run. After a few minutes it hurts to run so we walk. There are times when I don't think I can continue. I imagine how good it might feel to sit down…probably cold…I keep moving forward. I tell myself "Aches & pains are just distractions of the mind…focus on the goal…we will complete the JFK 50-miler today…we will get our medal. This is a test of our physical & mental strength…we are strong."

At 6:25 PM Emma started worrying and crying "I know she's not going to make it". She was so upset. I didn't worry though, I knew that my team would make it on time. I searched the ridge on the horizon for their headlamps as by this time it was pitch dark. So many thoughts racing through my head, so many questions I had, how did they feel at the beginning, at mile point 15.7, how was the AT, how did they feel once they hit the pavement, was it easier, was it harder, when did they KNOW they would make it, and on and on.

I really expected this portion of the course to give me a second wind. It was after all paved roads & the last 8.4 miles. I was wrong! It is by far the hardest part & my lowest. Each checkpoint we manage to pass through with time to spare. We are cautiously optimistic. We are going to finish & get our medals! We wait & wait to see the sign, 2 miles to go. It's not coming & we are growing discouraged. FINALLY! 2 to go! The next aid station they tell us that the sign is in the wrong spot & we only have 1.5 miles to go. This is great to hear!

6:30.not yet. 6:35.not yet. 6:40.not yet. Now I was getting worried. The whole race they were 1/2 hour before cut off. What if they don't make it? What if they make it at 7:01? What if they got turned back at the previous check point? What if they got hurt? What if, what if, what if.

Next sign…1 mile to go! At this point we know…we will finish…we will collect our medals! The tears come & go as we are overcome with emotions. While I was confident in July when we registered, I was not confident in October. I had tried so hard to convince Amanda to call it quits. I almost succeeded. At this point, I am SO thankful that Amanda was not swayed by me, but instead she swayed me. All of our training…hours & hours…miles & miles…it has paid off.

6:44..THERE THEY ARE!!! EMMA, I SEE THEM!!! Cheers of joy, tears of joy, tears of love and pride. They made it! We made it.

The finish line is within our sights & we run. After all these hours, there they are…my mom & Emma…still cheering for us. After getting this far with their help & support, I stop & give hugs & my thanks. Then, together, Amanda & I cross the finish line…50.2 miles in 13 hours & 44 minutes. Tears stream as the medals are placed around our necks.

Love and pride for my Holly and Amanda, off we walked in the darkness, my two crazy runners, Emma and me, the four of us, to a nice warm car and a nice warm hotel for a nice warm night of sleep.

Continue to post race report

No comments: