Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holly and Amanda's Amazing Race - Post Race Report

Note from Art - this is the last of the sections about my friends Holly and Amanda and their participation in the JFK 50 miler. Holly's text is in black, her mother's in blue.

This was the most physically demanding challenge I have ever gone through & the most rewarding! We proceed into the school for a medical opinion on Amanda's wrist, pizza & a bathroom. The nurse suggests that Amanda hold off on a trip to the ER, that her wrist is probably not broken. We are happy to avoid a trip to the ER. It is a long walk to the car & a short drive to the hotel.

It is at the hotel where the pain would set in. My hot shower caused my cold skin to itch & I spent about 10 minutes crying & scratching. That passed & the chills set it. Even with the heat cranked up, I shivered. I laid under the covers & hurt everywhere. Never had I hurt like this before! Amanda & I insisted we would NEVER do this again. No desire to run another ultra. With our eyes closed, our head still seemed to move up & down as if we were still moving. The sleep was bad…it hurt to be still & it hurt to move.

Sunday morning, we are still sore, however, it was much better…it's soreness not pain! At breakfast we reflected on the prior day. We continued to reflect all the way home. Amanda & I told my mom "never again". She insisted that we will run it again within the next 2 years. While I'm not so sure, I'm also not so sure we won't!

In retrospect, I didn't need to have packed a ton of activities and books to occupy Emma's and my down-time. We raced from stop to stop like mad men, only to wait, but couldn't have done any crafts or anything, there were runners that needed cheering to, encouraging words to be passed. Next time I'll pack some electronic hand warmers, wear warm boots, pack hot tea or chicken soup for my team. Next time....I remember hearing them both say, just this once, we're only running this once. Yeah right.

This was unlike any other race I have completed. There was a camaraderie that I had never felt before. We all wanted the same thing, for ourselves & everyone else to finish & collect our medals. The fast people we not too full of their own personal goals to say "thank you" as we moved aside so they could pass, or to say "good job" or "keep it up". This is a race…an event, where strangers will stop for a walk & chat, wish you well & move along…spectators will be inspired by you & they'll be sure to tell you. You can be sure that after completing this race you will have inspired yourself!

A week has passed since I completed the JFK 50-miler. I can tell you that the soreness only lasted a few days & was no worse than my first marathon. Within 2 days I was back at yoga & biking. I ran the Turkey Trot 10k on Thanksgiving morning. I can tell you with certainty, I don't care to know how much further I can run…50.2 is good enough for me! I can also tell you that I will most certainly do this race again. I will do it for the fun & for the beauty. I will do it for the inspiration & to be reminded of my own mental & physical strength.

Next up for me…rest! Expect to hear from me again in 2009 when I will begin fundraising & training for the Augusta Half Ironman…70.3 miles…but I get to swim & bike some of them!

No comments: