Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mentoring e-Mail # 5

This was my fifth note to my spring season mentees:

Hello, my Fantastic, Fun-loving Fundraisers!

It is I, your Artful Mentor, once again with my weekly message. Perhaps you are thinking “Oh no, it is Tuesday and I dare not check my email, I may be getting yet one more whacky message from my Artful Mentor.” Well, if you are thinking along those lines, I do not blame you, but it is too late. You are already reading this email and thinking “I KNEW I shouldn’t check email tonight!” Shows to trust your instincts, doesn’t it?

But I will be merciful and keep this short. It essentially will just be a few reminders and a couple of other things.

* I know you are thinking “why don’t I have a mentor that sends me useful documents that I can actually use?” You are in luck, for you do indeed have that kind of mentor, at least for this week. Of course, this is only because I have that type of mentor, Theresa. She sent me a great FUNdraising FAQ, and it was far better than anything I could have come up with, so of course I had to share it with you, with Theresa’s permission.

* Remember that after training this Saturday at Byrd Park, we will have our stretching and injury prevention clinic. If you can only make one clinic, make it this one. I can tell you first hand that training for a marathon, full or half, puts stress on so many parts of your body, and you want to know how to treat yourself right and stay healthy and pain-free.

* Team breakfast a week from Saturday after training (December 20).

* Are you collecting items for the Silent Auction, and have you replied to Jen’s e-vite? It is Wednesday night, January 21st at Big Als. The attached FAQ gives some really good ideas on collecting items, tips from Theresa, the Silent Auction Goddess. People still whisper with subdued awe and wonderment about the amazing items that Theresa has collected for auctions past.

* How is everyone doing on fundraising? Recommitment for the Shamrock Marathon is January 23rd, and you must have at least 25% ($475) of your minimum raised by then. But I know you can do better than 25%!

I will give you a brief mission moment for this week, from my own experience. Today marks six years in remission from cancer for me. I am alive today largely because 20 or 30 years ago, medical researchers figured out how to solve Hodgkin Lymphoma 80-90% of the time. I give thanks for being so lucky nearly every day. If it had turned out differently for me, not only would I have missed out on a lot of living over the past six years, but even worse, you would not be getting this email right now. Now THAT would be a tragedy!!! By what you are doing with Team in Training, others in the near and longer term future will have their chances of survival enhanced. So thank you, thank you, thank you!

My quote this week is from me, with some thanks to Sarah Palin (or her speechwriter) for the idea:

“The difference between a cancer patient and a pit bull? Chemo!” Art Ritter, Lymphoma Survivor, TNT Marathoner, and your Artful Mentor. 1951 - ???? :)

GO TEAM!
Art

No comments: