Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holly and Amanda's Amazing Race - Pre-Race

This is written by Holly about preparation for her and Amanda's 50 mile race.

November 22, 2008…this day might mean nothing to some, to others it might be a birthday or the day selected to begin the Thanksgiving holiday. Some might recognize it as the 45th anniversary of the tragic passing of President John F. Kennedy. For me, this day will always be remembered as the day I completed the "46th Annual John F. Kennedy 50 Mile".

A Little History…the JFK 50-Miler was first held in 1963 as a part of the nation answering Kennedy's "call to fitness". Most of the numerous JFK 50 Mile Challenge events staged around the country in 1963 were never held again. The one in Washington County, Maryland has continued for 46 consecutive years, making it the last surviving original "JFK 50 Mile Challenge" event.

Amanda & I had begun contemplating the JFK 50-miler the day after completing the HAT 50k (31 miles) in March. We did some research, came up with a training plan & mailed in our registration.

To be an official finisher of the JFK 50-miler you not only have to complete all 50.2 miles, but you have to pass through numerous check points along the way, completing each section in under the time cut-offs set by the race director. You must be across the finish line by 7:00 pm. This gives you 12 hours if you start at 7:00 am OR 14 hours if you are accepted into the 5:00 am start. Amanda & I were part of the lucky 250 to be accepted into the early start.

We knew that if we had any chance of completing this race we would need all the time we could get. This meant we needed the early start. We also knew we would need a support crew to be at the aid stations with our gear, offering up snacks, drinks & most importantly – words of encouragement. I asked my mom & she immediately agreed. It was official, Amanda & I were registered & we had our own crew!

Training…training was long & hard, but it was going well & we were feeling pretty confident. Enter the injuries…I developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot & had months of massage therapy & a couple of cortisone shots. Pain turned to discomfort & the discomfort lingered. Next up, osteoarthritis in my right knee. For that the doctor gave me a prescription & informed me that 50 miles would hurt like hell.

The pain & discomfort combined with the feelings of exhaustion & being burned out. I found myself trying to convince Amanda to scrap the race all together. I won't lie, I was not very happy when Amanda told me she was going to run it with or without me. I begrudgingly agreed to run it with her (after all she is already 1 marathon up on me…I couldn't have her 1 ultra up too!).

Knowing myself, I knew that I would be devastated if I failed at this attempt. Nothing less then 50.2 miles & a medal would make the day worthwhile. I knew for us to be successful we would need to be positive & focused on the goal. I learned in my yoga training about the yoga sutras. Two in particular struck a chord with me….

1.30: Carelessness, dullness, doubt, laziness, false perception, failure to reach firm ground & slipping from the ground gained are the obstacles/distractions of the mind.

We all have strength but we don't seem to know it. We need to be challenged & tested to understand our own capacities.

1:32: The practice of concentration on a single subject is the best way to prevent obstacles.

Decide on one thing & stick to it – whatever happens.

So, I typed it up, printed it out, posted it & repeated it.

The details that follow are about as accurate as I can remember…keep in mind, it was a long day! The text in blue was written by my mom & serves as the perspective of the person not running 50.2 miles, but being out there for just as long serving as the support crew.

Continue to Part 1 of Holly and Amanda's 50 Miler

No comments: