Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Final Message from your Artful Mentor

Hello My Never-Quitting Nashville Marathoning Mentees,

‘Tis I, your Artful Mentor, with my regular weekly message to you. Ah, I know what you are thinking. “What??!!! Why is my Artful Mentor writing me again? My event is over! Plus he didn’t write last week. He didn’t write Tuesday night. I thought he had given up on bothering us! Oh, my Artful Menter is a crafty and sly devil. He gives us the week off to lull us into a false sense of security and to set us up. Then – Bam! He strikes again and blindsides us when we no longer expect him to bother us and our defenses are down. Why, oh why, was I stuck with such a wily and relentless mentor?”

Hey, suck it up, Marathoners! If you can survive the memorable experience of being slow-roasted in Nashville Saturday for 26.2 and 13.1 miles, you can survive one more goofy note from your Artful Mentor. Last one! Promise! Besides, there could come a time when Tuesdays seem empty and lonely without a note from your Artful Mentor. It could happen. Really, it could. Of course, a one-armed blind man using a garden rake for a club could hit a hole in one in the US Open. That could happen, too.

Congratulations to all of you for completing your race, and special congratulations to Nicole and Dave for their first marathon and first TNT event. It was fantastic for me to see all of you either towards the end of your race or just after. That is the first time that I have mentored for TNT that I have been able to see my mentees finishing their races, so it is a really great memory for me. I have attached a photo of us from our “cheerleading site”, and also am copying the coaches so that they can see it. Don’t those medals, marathoner smiles, and purple shirts (and not forgetting the purple hair) look good? I will be posting more photos and stories on my blog, hopefully within the next week as time permits. My computer is messed up, which is why I didn’t email you last night, so it might be a while.

Now, on to fund-raising topics one last time. If you have any questions about the reimbursement process, check processing, and deadlines, you need to ask Amber these questions. Then pay very close attention to her instructions. If you were charged earlier this month, it is important to press ahead and keep fund-raising. Send out another round of emails telling about your trip and the race and giving friends and family a last chance to donate. Have a victory party – charge $5.00 a beer (tell your friends this first so they don’t think that you are buying rounds to celebrate). See if your out-of-town friends can forward a note to their friends on your behalf. Have a garage sale. If you get cash at fund-raisers, then deposit the cash in your bank account and make an online donation on your web-page – no waiting for a check to post this way.

If you want to let me know how much you have yet to raise and what your plans and ideas are, I will be glad to try to brainstorm with you. But if I don’t know where you stand on things, I can’t help. So let me know, and I will do my best to help you. But time is obviously very short now.

That is about it, teammates. I am really proud of you for stepping up to the challenge of making the world a better place by helping in the fight against blood cancers. I hope that you are proud of your achievements as well. I hope that you stay in touch, and that I will see you on another team. There is no experience quite like Team in Training, and I am glad that you decided to join us this season. I am grateful to have had the chance to mentor you. Now, I will leave you alone and let you get back to FUNDRAISING!!!!

GO TEAM!
Art A.K.A. Your Artful Mentor

No comments: