Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Wonderful Word

Taper! It's a wonderful word, one sure to bring a smile on the face of any long distance runner or walker!

No, not TAPIR!

TAPER!

This is the time where our long training runs and walks turn much shorter for nearly two weeks, until the day of the race 13 days from now. We all need it. Everyone on the team feels a little beat up. My foot continues to hurt, others have IT band issues. It is also a chance to get a little more sleep. No need to get up at 4:30 AM to run just two or three miles.

Next Saturday, instead of the 13 miles I did yesterday, I get to do 6! Or maybe I will do 8 and run with the marathon team for a while, but maybe not. At some point I slow to walk for a while and they keep running, so they are ahead anyway. All I know for sure is that only 2 or 3 miles at a time during the week sounds great. I hope with ice and less miles, my foot won't hurt as much for the next couple of weeks, then I can just suck it up for the race.

It also feels a little wistful for another season to be coming to an end, but end it must, as all things do. We had another great team, and I am really looking forward to doing the race and traveling to Nashville with them. Plus we have to be at least one step closer to a cure than we were when we started this season. We have to be!

4 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ah yes, the taper has begone. Now you can get back to a 'normal' life for a few weeks. Enjoy it while it last, I know you'll be back.

Elsbeth said...

Taper time! It's a bittersweet feeling, huh? I experienced that as well.

Take care of that foot and keep it up, you're doing a great job, Art!

o2bhiking said...

Yep - I will be back. I know that. the problem is that "normal" life feels like it should have fund-raising for TNT and training for a race built in as part of it.

Yes it is bittersweet - we all work so hard for so long at this, and then in hours it is over. I remember so well my first marathon - the jubilation of completing the marathon was followed quickly by a sad feeling that this great adventure was over. Plus you never again do a first marathon.

But this is my first half-marathon, so I am just going to try to enjoy it.

Meaghan said...

Just stopping in to say "hi" :) & wish you well!