Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Miracle Drug

About 9 miles into my 13 miler yesterday, I started having some pain in my left forefoot, which continued for the last 4 miles. A short time after I got home, I realized that I needed to use the miracle drug – ice!

It is not pleasant to soak your foot or body in ice water, but sometimes it is necessary. I have had an issue with my left forefoot for years, and I think it is metatarsalgia, inflammation of the metatarsal area. When I trained for the Anchorage Marathon 4 years ago, it was apparent that this was going to be a problem. Every training walk of more than 5 or 6 miles became very painful. I discussed it with a podiatrist, who X-rayed my left foot. It turns out that there is a very narrow gap between my third and fourth metatarsals and, to make it more of an issue, a little “bump” of bone on one of the metatarsals. His theory was that the walking and running would cause pressure and swelling, and the already narrow gap would become even more narrow, putting pressure on the nerve in that part of the foot. The solution – shoes that are wide in the forefoot, orthotics in each shoe that give arch support to take some of the pressure off the forefoot, and icing when necessary.

With the shorter training distances for the half-marathon, 10-13 miles instead of 16-22 miles, it has not been a huge problem for me this season. But yesterday it was, so I applied the miracle drug and am taking it easier today. So far, so good!

Incidentally, I have the same issue when hiking. As my feet swell, the left foot can become very painful, especially if I hit a rock against my boot and foot compresses laterally. I am thinking that if the metatarsal gap were just a millimeter or two wider, or even if the little bump of bone were not there, then all would be well, because I never have the pain in my right foot.

3 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Sounds like a good prescription for your ailment.

Cheryl said...

Hope your foot is soon showing signs of improvement. The thought of putting my foot in ice cold water makes me squirm.....

o2bhiking said...

Well, I have reapplied the ice two additional times but after running my five miles early this morning, my foot still hurts. Next options - rest for a day or so before Saturday's 10k race and loosen the laces on my left shoe.