Saturday, March 21, 2009

Go Shamrockers!

Tomorrow is the race date for the Shamrock half and full marathons, and I have a lot of teammates at the beach participating in the races: Lexi, Leslie, Nicki, Donna, Rose, Chad, Jamey, Kate, Nancy, Gina, Bethany, and Sarah, as well as Coaches Vicki, Chuck, Kristi, and Cathy!


I wish I could cheer them in person, and had planned to, but we have an extremely sick kitty and need to be around to try to comfort and take care of her. So I will have to cheer remotely.


In solidarity, I am wearing Nicki's "Decade of Strength" bracelet for training today and for the weekend. But for Nicki, it is now a Dozen Years of Strength since surviving lymphoma with a bone marrow transplant on February 27, 1997. Such a critically ill young woman on that date, and now preparing to run her fifth (I think) marathon. I am wearing the bracelet not only for Nicki, but to send vibes of strength to all my teammates down there at the beach - wonderful people!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Wow that's good to hear stories like Nicki's she was dxed before me. I was Sept 29 of 1997. Hard to believe its been that long.
I am sure you inspire many Art. You do me that's for sure.

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Kerry. You are coming up on a dozen years of strength yourself.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Art! It was a tough day for me physically and definitely an emotional one. My left knee started hurting at mile 10, and I had considered turning in at the 1/2 way point. I thought about the 32 people on my back, who helped me pull through and complete the 26.2 miles. I appreciate your dedication on your blog! You are the best!
Nicki

o2bhiking said...

The names on my shirt always help pull me through Nicki, as does my purple, green, and white wristband given to me by a special inspirational friend.

You did it, Nicki! You did it - again!