Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Miles are Piling Up

I’ve been keeping track of my steps and miles since Friday, January 9, or for about two months now. I use a week starting with Friday and ending with Thursday.

I’ve not reported on this for some time now, but thought I would jot out a quick post about my mileage for the last month. Since I have decided to train for the half marathon, not the full, the training miles won’t be totally outrageous. Here are my miles for the four weeks between Friday February 6 and Thursday March 5:

Week ending Training Miles Total Miles
2/12 -------------- 28.3 ------------ 50.8
2/19 -------------- 32.3 ------------ 58.6
2/26 -------------- 26.9 ------------ 53.0
3/5 --------------- 23.7 ------------ 49.5

For that four week period, I trained 111 miles and traveled on foot approximately 212 miles. The later includes my training miles and all my miscellaneous walking during the week – up 7 flights of stairs at work multiple times a day, walking to points in the office, taking a quick walk at lunch, and so forth.

The rate that my training miles are accumulating tells me that I may need a new pair of shoes by the time of the half-marathon, something I would dearly love to avoid if at all possible. I bought my shoes on February 1, and the majority of those 111 training miles are on these shoes. At this rate, I will have nearly 300 miles on the shoes by the date of my race.

2 comments:

Katie said...

WOW, that's a lot of miles!! It's amazing how fast those steps add up. Hopefully your shoes will hold out until after the race. Then you can get new ones for your next race ;-D

Kerry said...

Wow Art that's awesome keep up the good work. I agree I hope your shoes hold out till the next race. Have a great day!