Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Monumental Time!

The 10K race today, substituing for a normal training day, was a lot of fun. My left foot hurts but it held up and I am going to try to ice it and take it easy this week, to prep for our last long mileage day next Saturday - before the Country Music half marathon, that is. I am pretty sure that I knocked 4-5 minutes off last year's personal record but won't know for sure until I can check the race results tomorrow. (Note: my friend Kristi told me that my time was 1:03:21, which is nearly 6 minutes ahead of last year, so I am really pleased with that. I know that would be a depressing time for most of you hard-core runners but I am happy. It is a very good time for me, the "runalker".)

It felt cold standing around for two hours this morning in shorts and a tee shirt before the race, but once I finally started running I warmed up quickly.

After the race, I saw a co-worker who ran the race - his first ever. He told me that I had inspired him to do it and he made it his goal a year ago to run this race. I am glad that I was a factor in this because he was clearly and justifiably proud to have run today. He told me that there were over 33,000 people signed up - a record for this event.

Here are some photos from this morning:

Country Music Team gathered before the race. In four weeks from this morning, we will be in Nashville getting ready to start our races.

On the steps of the Sacred Heart Cathedral, just after the blessing of the runners.

Nicole and me before the race. Nicole is my mentee this season and is preparing for her first marathon. Today was her first race and she did great.

The starting line approaches - we were so eager to start running after standing for two hours.

Confederate General JEB Stuart watches the race at the turn on to Monument Avenue.

Heading west on Monument Avenue, past some beautiful cherry trees. On the left are runners who have made the turn and are heading back towards the finish line.

At this point, the race course has doubled back on itself and we are heading down the backstretch with the finish line just a few miles ahead.

Confederate General Robert E. Lee has a prime vantage point for watching the race, with about a half mile left at this point.

My friend and teammate Nicki snapped this shot of me (in the purple shirt of course) about 0.2 miles from the finish.

5 comments:

Kerry said...

Hey Art..Glad to hear todays race went fine..Sorry about the foot..hopefully the miracle drug will help provide some relief.
Thanks for the sharing the pictures. Its kinda neat to see where your running the route and what its like in each race.
Have a great day!!
Kerry

Anonymous said...

This looks like it was a fun run! Great scenery! I think running in the spring time is probably my favorite! :-)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Look at you, inspiring people to run. Don't worry about your foot, you've got two! Take care of it.

Nicki said...

Great job, Art! What an incredible time! That is excellent! Especially if you were taking time to take the beautiful pictures. Sorry I just got the back of you, but you were going too fast for my camera to focus quickly enough!

o2bhiking said...

Thanks everyone for the comments. It was a lot of fun. Unlike last year it was not raining. I am taking it easy today and will ice my foot again later.

Thanks again for the photo Nicki. You are right, stopping to take pictures probably added 60-90 seconds to my race time. I forgot about that!