Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Confidence!

Wow! In a few days, I’ll be sauntering down a runway at the American Cancer Society's fashion show. Bright lights! Dolled-up people! Big crowds of spectators staring at me! In my worst case scenario, I trip over my feet and fall flat on my face.

It could happen but I don’t plan on it. My secret weapon will be confidence. I told my friend Jackie what I am up to and she gave me this advice: when you walk down that runway, all eyes on you, say to yourself “I’m wealthy, great looking, brilliant, and all the women want me!” She said that will give me the confidence to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving along. Maybe, although all of that might be stretching the truth just a tad! Of course, if my lottery ticket comes in tonight, that will take care of wealthy part!

In any event, it is for a good cause and it should be kind of fun – totally out of character for me, but fun all the same. I am looking forward to the rehearsal Friday afternoon. The whole bunch of us will spend all afternoon rehearsing together, going over the show step by step four times. Then we will break to get some food – always good – and spend three hours getting dressed and made up. Three hours??? Are you kidding me? In my case, it shouldn’t take more than about 3 minutes. Hopefully, the guys won’t wear makeup, right? After all that, the show will go on well into the night, hopefully before a great crowd. When my turn comes to walk out there, I will try to project confidence, or at least not to trip!

One thing I do know is that I will be inspired by all of my fellow cancer survivors, dressed up and strutting for a great cause!

7 comments:

Elayne said...

Good Luck Art~ break a leg! Just not literally :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Hey, maybe you'll have to model swimwear! I can see it now, Art in a thong........

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Elayne - yeah, figuratively would be better than literally!

You know, Ken, I don't think there are enough adult BEvERages in the world to make me go out there in a thong. But if there were, there would not be enough adult BEvERages in the world to make the audiance stay in their seats and not leave. :)

Ashley said...

Sounds like fun - good luck! :)

Unknown said...

I googled MY team name ... America the Boobiful and your site came up. Thanks!! So you know, I'm a local survivor as well and we are walking the 60 miles in Philly this October if you want to join us. You can always "crew" as well. I noticed that you will be in Cure by Design. I did it last year and this year I will be a "greeter" at the event. It will be a fun event. Lisa Crawford

o2bhiking said...

Hi Lisa - that is cool on both accounts. I would love to do the Komen 3 Day some year. I never get the courage to jump back into the fundraising pool just months after leaving it for TNT. But I will consider being crew depending on the dates and costs. I think it would kill be to see everyone walking so far and not be able to join in. Sometime I just need to take the plunge and see if I can fundraise for two events, TNT and Komen. I think the latter is $2,300 or $2,500. See you at Cure by Design. It should be fun! Art

Anonymous said...

Have fun, Art. It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. If you do have to wear make up, it's stage make up! Yeah, that it!