Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A True Honor

My blog post last night was about the LLS volunteer recognition get-together, and specifically about Coach Bob winning the Team in Training Outstanding Participant Award. But there is one other award that I could have mentioned, so tonight, I will.

Each year, the Virginia Chapter of LLS gives a very special award, the Winged Victory Award. It is based on the statue of Nike at Samothrace, or the Greek Winged Goddess of Victory. The award is for the following: “To honor the strength and beauty of those who have endured the journey and to recognize our Outstanding Patient Volunteer of the Year who lives to the fullest, gives back to the utmost, and inspires us all to do the same.”

To my amazement, I was the one that the Virginia Chapter selected this year to be awarded that honor. I can think of many others, a number of them in the room last night, who were at least as deserving as I was deemed to be. But only one person each year receives this, no matter how many are deserving of it. I am deeply humbled and honored to be so chosen by an organization and people that I deeply admire, respect, and care about. It is certainly something that I will never forget. And I will continue to try to live up to the message of the award, which comes with a handsome plaque and a beautiful statuette replica of the sculpture of Nike at Samothrace. I have attached photos of these below.

And I have to think: is this a sign that I should do Nike, the winner in my opinion poll, in 2010 for Team in Training?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So well deserved!

Elsbeth said...

Congratulations, Art!

Definitely well-deserved!!

And yes, I think this is a pretty strong hint that Nike should be next on the menu.

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Susie and Elsbeth. I appreciate that.

Pretty good hint, eh Elsbeth? You can pave the way for me, OK?

Leslie said...

Well earned, Art, congratulations! You're an inspiration to many, not the least of which is me.

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Leslie - I appreciate that!

Kristi Hope said...

Art, my Outlook wasn't automatically updated my RSS feeds like it should have been, so I missed this post. I was out of town for the volunteer recognition get-together, so I didn't find out about this there either. CONGRATULATIONS! There isn't a more deserving person.

o2bhiking said...

Kristi - I very much appreciate that. Especially coming from you, who would have been an excellent and deserving person for this award herself, this means a lot. Art