Monday, June 22, 2009

Seven Future Events I'd Like to Do

It has been a long time since I written anything about my "surviving seven years" series, so I thought I would choose as this topic seven endurance events I would like to do before I hang up the running shoes / hiking boots / whatever. I am going to loosely interpret what I mean by endurance events, and most of these will be general in nature with no dates – with one key exception.

Previous posts in my "surviving seven years" series are: seven memorable hikes, seven great wildlife experiences, seven great TNT memories, and seven amazing experiences since surviving cancer.

And now, with no further ado, here is my list of seven events I would like to do, in no specific order.

1. Mayor’s Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. This marathon was my first event ever, and I want to try it one more time. Maybe I will get decent weather next time, plus I know enough to stay in Alaska a couple of weeks next time and do some touring .

2. Honolulu Marathon, December 9, 2012. That date marks exactly 10 years remission from cancer for me, and I cannot think of a better way to celebrate, and see Hawaii for the first time as a bonus.

3. A Triathlon. Gotta learn to swim better, gotta get a bike and learn to ride, but I think this would be a great achievement for me as a cancer survivor. The Philadelphia Triathlon would be a good choice, me being a Philly boy. But I won't limit myself.

4. A Century Ride. Well, if I get a bike and learn how to ride long distance, and I’ve done that triathlon, I might as well go for the TNT Triple Crown. That would be another cool achievement as a cancer survivor.

5. Komen Three Day. Some year I want to do this. I know too many women affected by the terrible disease of breast cancer, including my sister and sister-in-law. Walking 60 miles in three days seems a good way to honor them, while raising money for another good cause. It would mean not doing TNT that year unless I meet some rich and generous people.

6. A long distance hike. Maybe not the whole Appalachian Trail, but it would be cool to hike two months or so. It would get lonely, wet, and tiring, but what an experience! Maybe that could be all of Maine and New Hampshire on the AT, the Long Trail in Vermont, the AT in Virginia, a chunk of the trail the runs through Michigan and Wisconsin, a hike all over Isle Royale (the first place I ever truly did backpacking) or part of the Continental Divide Trail. There are many, many other possibilities.

7. Hike for Discovery. Hey, if I am going to do a hike for a few days, might as well raise some money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. LLS doesn’t do Hike for Discovery in Virginia, but maybe someday I will live near a chapter that does them.

Well, there are seven potential events before I get too old or wear out (hopefully)! I can think of many more I would like to do, including the Nike and the Marine Corps Marathon, so nothing says I have to hold it to just seven! :)

2 comments:

Elsbeth said...

I know a really neat city that hosts a TNT century ride!! :) That's quite the list! Maybe I should post my own....hmm.....

I can't wait to hear about Nike traiing!

o2bhiking said...

I heard that is a great race. It may just be in the stars. Getting that bike is a key event in that series of tasks. :)

I can always think of more things that I have time, money, or donors to do them all.