Sunday, October 4, 2009

Spectator at Livestrong Dolphin Challenge

During my short weekend at the beach, a nice surprise was a 5K and 10K race Saturday morning, that started and ended right outside our condo. It is the Second Annual Livestrong Dolphin Challenge, and 500 participants ran or walked in the races.The route went 1.55 or 3.1 miles up Sand Fiddler Road in Sandbridge, and then turned around and came back to the start.

I chatted with a few of the participants before the race, including a woman in a TNT shirt who has done about 6 events for the Team. And it turned out that TNT's famous Coach Bob was announcing the race at the start - finish point, so it was great to see him! I watched the first hour of the race, cheering on the participants, who were mostly having a great time. Definitely I need to recruit a few of my buddies and do this race next year - maybe a small team of us who are cancer survivors. The money raised goes to two great causes: Livestrong and Dolphin Rescue (VA Beach). Plus, nothing wrong with an early October weekend at the beach!

It did get me in the mood for running, because when I came home today, I went back to Echo Lake Park and alternating running and walking six 0.75 mile laps around the lake. So at least I proved I could run and walk more than 5K despite not doing much running since the half-marathon in Nashville.

I snapped a few photos of the event.

Being Livestrong, yellow was a dominant color. This was the pace car that led the pack.

The starting gate

The pack at the start of the race. The girls on the left in yellow were the entire field hockey team at a local high school.

No comments: