Monday, February 15, 2010

Message From the Captain #13

Ahoy Mateys! Batten down the hatches, as we have a bit of a blow coming in tonight! But amazingly enough, the snowy weather for three consecutive Saturday’s missed us this time and at least the marathon team was able to train. Maybe the cyclists and triathletes were able to train as well, although I didn’t see any cyclists out there on the sometimes slippery roads Saturday.

I’ve been away for the weekend and am feeling a bit tired (or maybe it is just the thought of going into work tomorrow) and so am going to keep this note short.

Most of you have let me know how your mentees are doing. If you haven’t but will, I would appreciate that. If I don’t hear from you, I assume that all is well. Everyone but the Mardi Gras team still has plenty of time to complete fundraising. And even that group has time after their event. Anyone who is still short on Mardi Gras should be preparing a final pre-race update and appeal to all potential donors. Actually, any of your mentees who are not sending regular updates are overdue to send one. I always see a spurt of donations when I send an update out, then no or almost no donations until my next note goes out. With my own fundraising this year, I am seeing tighter wallets, and will definitely be sending regular updates out – every two to three weeks – in an attempt to loosen the purse strings a bit.

It goes without saying that if any of your mentees has not sent a letter yet by way of the US Postal Service, then the time is definitely NOW! Offer to help them. Have an envelope addressing party, proof their letter, give them ideas. I sent several sample letters to my summer mentees as well as some other examples. If any of you need these for ideas, just let me know.

Remind your mentees about this coming Saturday for the Silent Mile. I don’t know the time, or can’t remember it, so have them also look out for Cate’s emails.

Are any of you going to Shamrock in five weeks to cheer your mentees on? I plan on being there (to cheer, not to race). Let me know if you want to get together and have a little cheering party down at the beach!

That’s all from Mentor Cap’n Art tonight. Let me know if you need any help.
GO TEAM!
Art

No comments: