Friday, May 14, 2010

Lottery Dreaming

There is a group of us at work, about 15 of us, who go on a fool's errand twice a week. We each throw a buck into a pool and buy 15 lottery tickets, the winnings (usually 0) to be shared equally. I usually buy the tickets, and I will often write a little something in the note I send with the tickets. Here is what I wrote last Friday, a little verse just for fun. The PWA I refer to is the system we have to dilligently log our time in each day. You can imagine it is not much liked - very difficult to use. The verse is to the tune of “When I Was a Lad” from “HMS Pinafore” by Gilbert and Sullivan. That song is one of the funniest I have ever heard, by the way.

When I was young, just out of school
I attempted to be guided by this golden rule:
Get up each day and go to work
And your official duties you shall not shirk

(Chorus): And his official duties he did not shirk

But I now yearn for more time free
And so I am a player in the lottery

(Chorus): But he now yearns for more time free
And so he is a player in the lottery


I rise each day, go for a run
Then come to work although it’s not much fun
Get home at night with no free time
And I dream of soon retiring, hey, that’s no crime!

(Chorus): And he dreams of soon retiring, hey, that’s no crime!

But retirement’s far away for me
And so I am a player in the lottery

(Chorus): But retirement’s far away for he
And so he is a player in the lottery

If I had cash, I’d do what I like
Read a great book, go for a hike
Sit with a drink on a beach of sand
Or give free time to others, oh that would be so grand

(Chorus): He would give free time to others, oh that would be so grand

For it’s those things I would like, you see
And so I am a player in the lottery

(Chorus): For it’s those things he would like, you see
And so he is a player in the lottery

So along with you, I work each day
And account for all my hours in Pee-Dubyah-Ay
But twice each week, I risk a buck
And hope with all my hoping that we have good luck

(Chorus): Oh he hopes with all his hoping that he has good luck

For with great luck, oh how rich we’ll be
If we all keep on a-playing in the lottery!

(Chorus): If his ship comes in, how rich he’ll be
And so he keeps on playing in the lottery!


(And if I do hit the lottery tonight, a whole bunch of folks doing Team in Training are going to get some great contributions!)

No comments: