Friday, October 4, 2013

Coach Cheryl!

I first met Cheryl in my first marathon (and first Team in Training event), up in rainy Anchorage, Alaska on June 18, 2005.  We were both on Virginia's team, about 16 of us in total.  Cheryl was with the Tidewater group, and I was from Richmond's.  We were the only two walkers, so we walked together for the first 16 or 17 miles.  Here we are around mile 7, I think.
Since we never walked or trained together, we were not used to each other's paces, and at some point, I was just a bit faster, so I went ahead for the last 10 miles and waited for her at the finish line.

Fast forward a few years.  Cheryl would be the one waiting for me.  She has done many events - raising lots of money for this cause - become a runner, and also completed a triathlon.  I find the latter particularly impressive, since it involves swimming in a river.  So, she is quite the athlete!  If she completes a century (100 mile bike ride), she will earn the coveted Team in Training "Triple Crown."

Cheryl has also become a coach on our Tidewater Team, and for some time now, has helped others attain their athletic goals.  She has supported my LLS fundraising quests very generously whenever I have asked, including during my current "Crabby" campaign.  And, to top it off, she is simply a great person.

But best of all, I learned that she is going to be our team coach for the Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon Sunday!  I am really excited to be participating in an event with Cheryl as our coach, and can't wait to see her.

2 comments:

happyone said...

She sounds like quite a woman. : )

o2bhiking said...

Cheryl is a great gal! You would like her!