Sunday, January 1, 2012

Making 2012 Special

I want to make 2012 a little special. After all, it is my 10 year mark of surviving cancer - Hodgkin's lymphoma - which was detected late in April of 2002. In a flash, I went from a seemingly healthy person to someone in the fight of their life.

I am trying to stay away from resolutions. I did horribly with the goals I set a year ago. 2011 was not a good year, especially with the death of a good friend and of my sister. Foot problems almost all the year caused difficulty with physical activities. But now, a new year is here! Huzzah!

So here are some of the things I am thinking about to make 2012 special from a Racing for a Cure standpoint. Some are pretty mundane, others more spectacular. If you want to see some of the places I would like to hike in 2012, go here.

I'll be running in the Shamrock Half Marathon on March 18. It is my statement that I am strong and healthy ten years after cancer. I am going to go for a personal record but have a very long way to go in a short time. Mainly, I just want to celebrate life and remember those lost. I'll also be attending the Team in Training Inspiration Dinner the night before for a little extra motivation.

Yesterday, I signed up for the Monument Avenue 10K here in Richmond. That is two weeks after the Shamrock Half. It will be my eighth straight time in this event. I am going for a PR in that one as well. I'd love to break an hour. That is slow to you fast runners but would be fast for me.

So barring injury, those two are definite. After all, I've shelled out $126 hard-earned bucks when I signed up! But what about some yet-to-fully-gel possibilities? Well, I would like to do TNT again. I have fundraised from the same group of people now six out of the past seven years, so the well may be a little dry. But I think it is worth another try, and maybe skip fundraising in 2013. Where and when could I run? I am thinking in the fall, perhaps San Francisco, the Marine Corps Marathon, or even Dublin, Ireland.

Some time back, I was thinking this would be the year to do a triathon or a century bike ride, but I don't think so now. I have done nothing to get ready, including getting a bike. I am not sure that is where my interests lie.

I'd like to run the Livestrong 10K in Virginia Beach again. Maybe I can finish first in my age group this time!

Under the realm of the more far out, I have been recently thinking that this would be a cool year to form a relay team, and do one of those 48 hour relay events. I would need 11 other people, and there would be some costs involved, like renting a couple of vans. But it would be an incredible experience. I'd love to form a team of 100% cancer survivors, but am not sure I know 11 other survivors who run or power walk. Yesterday when I was thinking about it, I could come up with about 6-7 names, including yours truly. Need to give this some more thought ....

Now, the crown jewel of 2012, if I can make it happen, would be to run the Honolulu Marathon on December 9, my 10 year cancer remission date. I've had my eye on that date and that event for years. But a trip to Hawaii is a major expense, one I am not prepared for at this time. Still, sometimes where there is a will, there's a way, and it would be such a wonderful thing to do while visiting Hawaii for the first time ever.

So those are some of my thoughts. Does anyone reading this have some special fitness events that they would like to do?

4 comments:

Elayne said...

Happy New Year Art! All such great ideas for the upcoming year!

Pick Ireland for sure and check places like Expedia for good deals to Hawaii. We went this past summer for a great price through expedia.

I just might be one of those relay race survivors you are looking for :)
Hope for a happy, healthy 2012!

o2bhiking said...

Thanks for the note and the tips, Elayne. OK then, if I form a relay team and that comes together, I am going to contact you. It would be a good trip east for you and your husband. Art

Lily on the Road said...

Any event involving Hawaii would be just incredible. I for one want to do the Lavaman triathlon in 2013.

As for marathons, it depends on how far you'd like to travel. Friends of mine are running Edinburgh in 2013. 2012 has many great races here in Canada too.

Good luck your special events!

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Lily. I concur about Hawaii. I've never been. Ain't cheap, thought. I'd love to run a race overseas, and also love coming up to Canada. Thanks for the well wishes. Art