Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Month to Go!

It is hard to believe that in exactly one month, if all continues to work out, I’ll be walking about 20 miles on the first day of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in the Washington, DC area. The walk starts very early in the morning at the National’s baseball stadium in the Southeast part of the city.

A month ago, I was walking a few miles at a time. A month before that, I was not walking at all except for what I would call incidental walking. In the past four days, I have walked 27 miles: 12 on Saturday, 10 on Sunday, and five this morning. Yes, my heel hurts at times, but even at its worse, it is not as painful as day to day was earlier this summer and spring.

The plantar fasciitis has been part of my life for four months now, and I’ve been getting active treatment for it for about 2.5 months. This was the ART (Active Release Therapy) that I have mentioned before. I got that today, with the starting point of a sore heel from the five mile walk. The treatment was moderately painful this morning, so there is still inflammation and scar tissue in that left heel.

The plantar fascias in both feet are much more flexible than they were two months ago, when they were like taut steel cables. I continue to work on a bunch of stuff most days to make more progress. In fact, my doctor today stressed how increasingly important that is, since I am only getting the ART once a week now.

One month to go! I feel that I can continue to walk enough to get strong and durable enough to walk for the three days, and I feel blessed about that. It will be a very emotional time, and I will mourn my sister’s death as I walk. But overall, I am so glad to be doing this walk for this cause.


No comments: