Thursday, May 19, 2011

Doctor, Doctor

"Doctor, Doctor,
Mr. M.D.
Now can you tell me, tell me, tell me,
What's ailin' me?"

Except, in this case it was a "Ms. M.D.", and she was able to confirm that what is ailing me is plantar fasciitis. She gave me a series of stretches and exercises to do, and told me that if I do them religiously for three weeks, it should start to improve. They are not all fun, but clearly I need to make a change. The Komen 3-Day walk is just four months away, and right now, six miles would be a challenge, let alone 60. I've also been wearing a night splint, which is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but does appear to help.

Interestingly, the doctor I saw is from my old stomping ground and we went to high schools in the same athletic league, although she was clearly in school several decades after my high school days were a fading memory. She also was medical crew for a Susan G. Komen 3-Day event in Philly a few years ago, and said it was an amazing experience.

I cannot imagine now not doing this walk, and need to get my foot healed. Whoops, time to stretch!

No comments: