Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Some More Recovery Milestones

Five weeks past foot surgery, I hit a couple of more milestones Sunday and today.

Sunday, I walked over four miles, 4.5 to be exact, for the first time since the surgery. It was a nice early morning walk at the beach, something of a hike actually. I did stop to take photos and to look at things, but I didn’t stop to rest or stay in one place for a long time.

Today, I ran for the first time. I did my favorite local route, 3.85 miles. I set my sports watch to 30 second run and 2.5 minute walk intervals. Most of the time, I ended up running 45 to 60 seconds during the run portion. I covered the distance in 49 minutes, or 12 minutes 40 seconds per mile. I’ll see how my foot feels tomorrow, and if it is okay, I will run again Thursday morning, maybe upping the run interval to 60 seconds for the same distance.

In any event, I am now confident that I can cover the Monument Avenue 10K on April 2, at some pace, with run and walk intervals. Being able to walk more, run some, and hopefully, hike soon, is coming a great time. I weighed myself yesterday after all these weeks of inactivity (except for my jaws). Holy crap! Let's just say that if I could keep this trend going, and grow a bushy white beard, Santa Claus would be out of a job!

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Glad to here your up ,walking and doing some running...Thats great!!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Dear Santa, I've been pretty good this year.............. LOL, get your butt out there and RUN.........

o2bhiking said...

I'm checking my list twice, and it ain't looking good, Coach Ken. But you still have 9 months to make up for it. I'll be watching! Santa