Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Thankful Anniversary

So there I was this morning, preparing to speak at a TNT recruitment meeting to form a corporate team for the Monument Avenue 10K next spring. I was finalizing in my mind what I wanted to say in my five minutes, speaking as a survivor, a TNT marathoner, and as a mentor. I looked at my watch, and noted the date: 11/25. I thought about this for a minute, did some quick calculations in my head, and it hit me: exactly six years ago, at the exact same time of day, I was sitting in an oncology room a few miles away getting my very last chemotherapy treatment!

It was the Monday before Thanksgiving in 2002 and I don't think I can adequately describe the excitement, thankfulness and joy that I felt as I headed into the chemo room that day, praying that my white cell count would be high enough to get the final dose and get it over with. Even though I knew by then exactly what the next 12 or so days would be like, I realized that very soon all of the misery that I'd had to cope with for the past six months would be coming to an end.

During my many chemotherapy sessions, I met many others with all types of cancer: leukemia, lymphoma, lung, colon, bladder, and breast to name a few. Many of them, maybe most, faced a much more difficult, desperate and in some cases deadly battle than I did. On that last day of treatment for me, the man in the chair next to me nearly died right there. Whatever type of cancer that he had was not responding, and so they tried a new treatment that day, fortunately in a greatly reduced dose. He went rigid, passed out, and peed all over the floor as the nurses frantically tried to revive him. When he came to, I remember the doctor telling him how there were not a whole lot of options for him since the new treatment that had just nearly killed him was the last available treatment. I wondered how overwhelming it would be to get that kind of message and felt really bad for him, and for his daughter, who had driven him in. I also felt even more thankful about finishing that saga in my life with the expectation of being in remission from lymphoma. After nearly 6 years in remission, I still feel as thankful.

If you read this and you are doing or have done Team in Training or something similar, I really believe that what all of you are doing means that future patients will have more effective, less horrible options available to them. You should all be proud of yourselves. As you give thanks for the many good things in your lives, know that many people down the line will be thankful for the assistance that you will be indirectly providing them. I don't know the names of people who funded and conducted research back in the 1970's and 1980's that led to effective treatments for Hodgkin lymphoma, but I guarantee you that I give thanks for them nearly every day. During my Alaskan, San Diego and Arizona marathons, they were with me every step of the way.

Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Kerry said...

Art,That's awesome! The thing is I love what you write here. You have been through it and making a difference for so many more.
I remember in my Grandfather back in the late 70's through the mid 80's dealing with NHL. Things are so different now for all of us. I am so grateful to those who cared enough to get out there and start LLS. Amazing how many are out there who do care in our behalf.
Thanks so much to for talking about it and sharing what you do in my comments. I so appreciate it!
Have a great Thanksgiving Art. We do have so much to be thankful for!
Kerry
P.S. Your Granddaughter is adorable~

Shawn said...

what a great anniversary to remember. I'm glad you were able to pull through and that you took that happening as a call to 'pay it forward'

I too pray for more effective, less horrible options. For all of us.

Elsbeth said...

Happy Anniversary, Art.

I can't tell you how inspired I am by your story. I will certainly be running to celebrate you in Phoenix!

o2bhiking said...

Thanks for the nice comments, Kerry, Shawn, and Elsbeth. I am happy to still be around, and very lucky and grateful. Anytime I am out early training thinking how easy it would be to still be in bed, I think of all the people up early, scared, sick, exhausted getting ready to head off to chemo or radiation. It makes it easy to do a few miles in the dark.

Elsbeth - good luck with the Arizona marathon in just over a month. I had a great time doing that for TNT this past January. It is a great race. Thanks for thinking of me on race day. Congratulations on hitting your fund raising goal. That is awesome!

GO PURPLE PEOPLE AND LIGHT THE NIGHTERS!!!!

Graceanne Grateful said...

Oh my Lord ! - Unbelievable! I can hardly believe that you found our blog and so I found yours.
My daughter had a very rare CTCL so I know some about what many have gone through. I am so proud of you and what you are doing, Art!
She was diagnosed with Mycosis Fungoidis in 1999. - Took 8 mos. of nitrogen-mustard treatment which did no good at all.
Dr's wanted her to go on PUVA but she opted for total body radiation as she had found that it had much higher rate of cure. She took TEN WEEKS of TSEBT still working all the while. It exhausted her, but she came into complete remission in Aug. 2000 after the radiation, (-Had some PUVA treatments per Dr's orders afterward just for maintenance.)- and praise the Lord, she has been well from it ever since. And after 5 yrs. the Drs pronounced her "cured" ! (She was 59 yrs. of age in Sept.)
I give to the L. and L. Society regularly and am so thankful for the work and research being done!
You are doing a wonderful work and I know god will bless you for it.
May He bless you with many blessings. Happy Thanksgiving !!!
Graceanne Grateful :)

o2bhiking said...

Graceanne Grateful - I am really glad that we found each others blogs. your daughter's story is amazing! It sounds like a pretty awful ordeal. I hope that eventually LLS and other funding sources will lead to cures that are so much less horrible. Thank you for frequently donating to LLS!

The nitrogen mustard treatment is essentially getting the mustard gas that was used in WW I! I hear that it is awful. It must be such a blessing for you to have had your daughter survive all this.

Please email me her name if you wish and I will write it on my Nashville race shirt. And please tell her that every Saturday morning, all over the USA and Canada, the Team in Training Purple People are up early training so that eventually these diseases can be cured, and so that future people with these cancers won't have to go through the hell that she had to endure.

I hope that Thanksgiving was wonderful for you and your family.

Best wishes - Art