Friday, January 28, 2011

Baby Steps

Well, I am coming up on four days post surgery, and doing OK! I got the initial bandages off yesterday so the doctor could examine the incision, which is about an inch and a half to two inches long. He said that the neuroma was a fairly large one, about twice the size of a pea, but no world record. I already knew the latter, as I had checked the Guinness Book of World Records, and my name was not in it.

With a much smaller bandage, I can now walk very slowly with just one crutch, which is much easier on the armpits – but slower. I’ve joked many times about being slower than a snail, and now, I really am! Only one crutch also means that I can carry something carefully in my right hand. And maybe even more importantly – at the risk of way too much information – I can pee standing up again! It is the little things in life, you know, when it gets right down to it.

The walking is a little painful so I only do it when absolutely necessary, and even so, my foot hurts more today as a result. So as much as possible, I am going to sit on my butt with my foot elevated. The stitches come out in six more days, at which point maybe I can take a shower without the elaborate procedures that I have to now! All in all, I am pleased with how things are going, but cannot wait to walk even semi-normally again.

No comments: