Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Requiem in Pacem, Stuart!

My step-father, Stuart, passed away last night, less than three weeks after being diagnosed with lung cancer. I had written briefly about Stuart in my post of about three weeks ago, “Y’all Can Stop Now!”.

Stuart was a great guy. I have known him since 1971, and he was like a second father to me. He and my mother married in 1974.


Since her death in 1992, Stuart has remained close to me and to my brothers and sisters. We are all tremendously saddened by his death. It is one more reminder of how awful cancer is, and how it must ultimately be defeated! I hope that my upcoming Team in Training Season and marathon will be one more nail in cancer’s coffin!

Stuart grew up in Syracuse, and I always liked hearing his tales of growing up there. He always remained fond of his native town, where he played ice hockey as a boy. He also got to see George Gershwin perform a concert there just a year before this great composer’s tragic and early death. Eventually, Stuart went to college at the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1943. Go Quakers! Hurrah for the Red and the Blue! One remarkable thing about Stuart is that he left college after completing his degree requirements but well before graduation to join the Army. He went off to the Pacific War, serving in New Guinea. With no cream, milk, or sugar there, he always had his coffee black the rest of his life. And after weeks with little to eat but canned apricots due to a logistical snafu, he couldn’t even stand to look at an apricot the rest of his life.

After the war, Stuart worked in international business. He told me many tales of travels around the world on business. Eventually, he was in the jewelry business about the time he and my Mom met, and stayed in that line of work until his retirement.

He and I got to numerous football games over the years on my travels to Philadelphia to watch Penn at Franklin Field, and also a few games at Villanova out on the “Main Line”. All his life, Stuart had a true love for his Alma Mater. I have great memories of these times with him, and of listening and discussing classical music which we both love. We also always had many discussions about sports and politics, both of which Stuart had a deep interest in. And when were relaxing at his home, we enjoyed watching sports together and just chatting.

In 1993, Penn had a special ceremony at their graduation where they presented diplomas to the men who, 50 years previously, had missed their graduation ceremony to serve our country. That meant so much to Stuart.

In 2005, we met Stuart and several other family members in Washington DC so that we could take him to the World War II Memorial. That was such a moving experience – to see him remembering his comrades and the suffering, and how he and other aging veterans greeted one another. I am so glad that we had the opportunity to take him there.


I am saddened that Stuart is no longer with us, but I am a better man for having been lucky enough to know him and to be his step-son.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Art,
I am saddened to hear about Stuart. It is such a tragedy that you and your family have to endure this. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you grieve for your loss. I'm glad you wrote that you've had enough of this. We all keep fighting.

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Liz. I very much appreciate your note. We will miss Stuart but are glad that he did not suffer for months as so many with cancer do. He was a great guy. Art

Kerry said...

Art . I haven't been on line much this week. But sending my thoughts and prayers your way. I was sorry to hear about Stuart.Your right though I to am glad he isn't suffering.Hang tight to the good memories.