Sunday, September 23, 2007

With the Hampton Roads Team

September 23, 2007. I’ve gotten up to my full training mileage, 29 miles on foot this week. It has been tiring with some sore muscles, but after the forced inactivity it feels really good to be training again. Yesterday, I was down at the beach and trained with the Hampton Roads team - thanks coaches Bob and Anita. While there, I learned that one of their assistant coaches (Michelle) and one of their mentors (Cathy) are currently battling cancers. And Ruth, a participant, has a sister who has had to undergo treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma twice, including a stem cell transplant. It reminded me again of how important this cause is, and how lucky I am to be fully healthy again.

I first met Coach Bob in Alaska in June, 2005. He was the coach for TNT Virginia for the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon, my very first marathon. Here we are before the race, June 18, 2005 - dig those moose antlers!


No comments: