Monday, September 3, 2007

The Cheerleader

September 3, 2007. The original idea was to write something about completing the Virginia Beach Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon as part of my five year cancer survival celebration. After all, I had signed up and paid the entry fee several months ago. But my heel did not cooperate, even three weeks after the damage. I put on running shoes the night before, along with a thick bandage, and knew after 50 feet that it would be a huge mistake.

Upon arriving at Virginia Beach, I went to the expo to pick up my race packet and tee-shirt, but before I got there my friend Nicki called me to say that my picture was in the program! What I had written (see my blog post “My Submission for the Rock N Roll Half Marathon”) was used in part for the program as well, so it was really cool to see that when I got my race program. I talked to the first aid station about my ideas for protecting my foot. They looked at the injury and told me that it might be difficult to protect it, given the location.

That night, when I tried going out with the bandage on my heel, and quickly realized that I was not going to do this race without risking serious pain and maybe injury, I was really disappointed. Thinking it over, I realized that if I couldn’t do the race, I could at least support my friends who were in it. So I again was a cheerleader, and got a lot of happiness seeing so many dear friends doing the race and having a good time. Some of my friends that I saw include Michal, Nicki, Robbi, Theresa, "Chuck Squared", Lynn, Kristi, Jamal, Betty, "Holly-and-Amanda", Dian, Chelle, Vicki, Tim, Coach Bob, ... I know that I've missed some, and I know that some people went by so fast that I couldn't pick them out in the crowd. It was really disappointing to miss the race, but great to be alive to see it and to cheer for my friends. Plus, since the injury only hurts with shoes on, I did get in a 4 - 5 mile run and walk on the beach in my bare feet. It felt great to be moving again!

Plus for my $75 race fee, I got my photo in the program and a cool tee-shirt! It's a great race - if you ever have a chance to do it, go for it!

No comments: