Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Walk Team

October 21, 2007. After a series of weekends traveling and training on my own, I was out with the TEAM yesterday for a 10 miler. It felt great to see my teammates again. An earlier post showed a photo of the entire marathon team.
This photo is just the walk team, at least all who were at training this day. From left to right, we are Suzanne, Theresa (my mentor), me, Michal (our walk coach), and Robbi. They are the best!

Theresa was training for Virginia Beach, but blew out an Achilles tendon, and signed on to the winter team. While I hate the fact that she hurt herself, I love having her on our team. She will be doing the PF Chang's half-marathon, her first event. So she will be my travel teammate for the trip to Arizona. Her husband, Warren, is wrapping up treatment for non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Suzanne is a champion fund-raiser for TNT.

Theresa is not only my mentor but a TNT participant, raising money for LLS while preparing for the Walt Disney Marathon. She is a half marathon vet, but this will be her first full 26.2 marathon. She is a great mentor, always positive and keeps us motivated. She is always out there training right along with us, and almost always puts out gummy worms for us - which we find with delight. She has pet ferrets, and is a proud and active Mary Baldwin grad.

Michal is our awesome coach, and she and I trained together in 2005 when we both did TNT for the first time - she doing San Diego and me Alaska, both of us walking a full marathon. She was a delight to train with, and still is. She is a dedicated and skilled coach. In April, she and her husband Tim will have their first baby, so she is slowing down on her training for now. But she is always out there with us, even if she can't always go the full miles. Like Theresa, she is also a proud Mary Baldwin grad! Go Squirrels!

Robbi is a lawyer that contradicts every lawyer joke you've ever heard because unlike the lawyers in the jokes, she is just a wonderful and fun person. She is a proud Penn State grad - go Nittany Lions - and although this is her first TNT event and first marathon, she once danced in like a 48 hour dance marathon. She makes training such fun because she is a great story teller and keeps us in stitches with her wonderful and lively stories. I know that come January, I will miss those stories.

These great women are the best and make every Saturday training fun - the miles just slip by no matter how far we are out there. It is wonderful to have teammates like these, so dedicated to our cause of curing blood cancers. I know that when we are all done, I will miss our weekly rendevous at Byrd Park.

On the fund raising front, we are preparing for our Silent Auction this Thursday night, October 25, at Relish in Shockoe Bottom. Join us if you can - free appetizers and lots of items to bid on!

No comments: