Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Lucky Guy in the Purple Shirt

This article was published in the January 2008 Virginia TNT Team Ties:

“Gimme five! Gimme five years!” That’s what I was thinking in the spring of 2002 when I’d gone from discovering that I had a large, foreign mass in my chest to ultimately learning that I had stage-three Hodgkin lymphoma. I was told that I had about an 80% probability of living for five years, which is excellent for cancer, but even so, I wasn’t taking anything for granted. I would live, and I planned on using the experience to learn, grow and become a stronger person. I was maybe a little cocky (some might say, typical male), thinking that I’d just keep working full time right through chemotherapy. That is, until the second or third day of it, when I realized that this thing was really going to kick my butt for six months! Cancer has a way of removing some of one’s pride and making you face reality.

One thing I felt very early was that I wanted to give something back once I was healthy again, out of gratitude for surviving. I learned about TNT a few months after I was in remission, and ultimately decided that was how I was going to give back, starting with walking the Anchorage, Alaska marathon in 2005. This was followed a year later by the San Diego marathon, also as a walker. Along the way, I learned some of the intricacies of training for a marathon and fund-raising, both of which were totally new experiences for me. I also was exposed to the camaraderie and joy of attaining difficult goals, Team in Training style, and was hooked!

Now, here I am, preparing for my third event, walking the PF Chang’s Marathon in Arizona in January, 2008. In 2002, I asked for five years, and I got them. In addition to all the usual reasons I do TNT, this year’s endeavor in Arizona is a special and personal celebration of reaching the five year remission milestone in December. I know that none of this was guaranteed, and that many others who developed cancer five years ago are no longer here. On January 13, I will be pretty psyched up – all the hard work of training and fund-raising will be in the past. My race shirt will be covered by the names of those who I and my donors are honoring. I’ll gratefully think of all who helped me make my five year milestone event a success: donors, family, friends, coaches, mentors, teammates, patient honorees, and LLS staff. I’ll remember again that I am trying to make the difference I swore I would five years ago, and how blessed I am to have such an opportunity. I’ll think of all the “Purple People” in Arizona and Florida who are also making a difference that day. Then, I’ll take the first step of the 47,000 or so steps between the start and the finish.

So if you see me during the race, ”Gimme five!” I’ll be the lucky guy with the big smile in the purple shirt!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

I came over from Leroy'Blog. Just saying a big thanks to you for doing TNT. From one lymphoma patient to another! I not able to run so go for it and run for me to!! I am doing Light the Night instead.
Great Blog by the way. I love the fact that your a 5 year survivor that makes it all the more important.
Wishing you luck and Go for it!!!
Kerry

o2bhiking said...

Kerry - thanks for the nice post. I am glad that you enjoyed my new blog. It is my pleasure to do Team in Training. It is the least that I can do after my good fortune in surviving lymphoma.

I did Light the Night in 2005 and really enjoyed it. I didn't do much fund raising for that because I had just done TNT in Alaska. LTN is a great event. We each do all we can, but I'll run for you too.

I am thrilled to hit five years last year, six now. I can't express how thrilled after 2002.
Best wishes and enjoy the day! Art

Kerry said...

I understand the trill Art. Last year we celebrated our wedding anniversary and my 10 yrs of surviving nhl. Yes at Light the Night.
Moving towards 11 years now and its just beyond what they thought would ever happen. So yes its a real thrill!

Thats true we do what we can do. Last year did the walk in a walking cast. I have been through way worse in the scope of things. So was worth it.

Always nice to hear someone will ride in your behalf. Thanks!! I got a feeling you will do just fine.

Have a great day Kerry.

Natalie said...

I have been training with TNT for PF Chang's Rock N' Roll in Arizona since July. I share in your enthusiasm for January's race! I am proud to be running for and with people like you, those who are truly fighting the battle everyday. Everytime I think, "This is so hard, why am I putting myself through this," I remind myself of those who did not choose to go through the challenge. I will do it for them, I will do it for you.
I wanted to let you know that I read your article and it was truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is an honor to run for people like you.
God Bless You.
Natalie Clawson
TNT Oklahoma Chapter