Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Couch Potato

August 26, 2007. I hate being a couch potato! I am still waiting for the cut on my heel to finish healing. Instead of training, I used some of my spare time to read the last two Harry Potter books. But with a half marathon coming up in a week, getting in some miles would benefit me more than the reading. However, if I could have found a healing spell in one of the books, then that would have been a great surprise. No luck, so this thing just needs to heal the old fashioned way. I finally went to a doctor, who told me that Mary was right – I should have gone to an emergency room immediately and gotten stitches. It is too late now for stitches, and she told me that this is one of the slowest parts of the body to heal, since the flesh is very thin -only about an eighth of an inch covers the Achilles tendon - and the blood supply is not great.

Other than some weights and some eliptical workouts wearing my open heeled Crocs, I am out of action. With the open wound, even using the pool is out. Normally I do water aerobics once or twice a week, so I miss that. I am in good enough shape that I can finish the half-marathon, but I am wondering for the first time if this injury will heal in time for the race, which is only about a week in the future.

No comments: