Sunday, July 7, 2013

Muggy Training

Yesterday was the point at which the Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon is exactly three months away.  I am still not running but my walking feels strong.  We walked seven miles, or just over half the race distance, on a warm and muggy day.  Everyone was drenched in sweat after a mile or less.  Walking in the shade when that was possible felt pretty good, but walking out in the sun was scorching.

Like a few weeks ago, we did the route that crosses over the Nickel Bridge again, but this time went another mile each way.  It is a very pleasant walk, and we saw lots of runners who are training on the Richmond Marathon Training Team.  I always like seeing other active people out working hard and having fun.  Their numbers dwarfed our little team of about 15 people.

Along the way, we passed through nice neighborhoods and many nice homes and yards, but I particularly liked this home's gardening:


My latest malady involving feet and legs is a plantar's wart on the ball of my left foot.  I've had it for a while, but I thought the pain was just something to do with my surgical site of 2.5 years ago.  But as it got more consistent and pronounced, I realized last week what it was.  I am treating it with an over the counter acid patch.  It is a little uncomfortable but not affecting my walking much.

Next week, we will start training at 6:30 for the rest of July and for August.  It is early on a Saturday morning, but we want to finish as early as possible to beat the heat.

No comments: