Monday, April 29, 2013

Racing for a Cure, Once Again!

It's been nearly three years since I did Team in Training, the Seattle Half-Marathon in June, 2010.  And was two years ago since I was starting to train and fundraise for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.  I had just developed plantar fasciitis, and my sister Ann was still alive.  She was my special honoree for the 60 mile walk, and I am glad she knew I was doing this, even though she didn't live to see me follow through on what I promised her.

So it's been a while.  And it is time to do it again.  One thing I learned when I did the Shamrock Half Marathon last year was that I really want to do these races, if I am going to do them at all, for a cause and purpose much bigger than myself.  My goal with the Shamrock was to celebrate 10 years surviving cancer, but it felt a little empty.  All that hard work, the pain and knee damage, and it really didn't do any good for anyone.

So I've been feeling for a while that it was time this year to get involved with Team in Training once again.  Three days ago marked 11 years since I learned I had cancer - or at least since I learned I had a very serious problem that turned out to be Hodgkin's lymphoma.  I always think about this in the spring, what a fearful time those first few days in late April 2002 were for me.  Was I going to live? (Yes.)  Was I going to suffer? (Yes, but not an unreasonable amount for someone with cancer.)  And it just reminds me how many people learn every hour that they have cancer, and that they are fighting for survival.  So if I can raise some money this year through my efforts that may help someone, it is well worth it.

Yes, it's time.  So today, I signed up for another event with TNT, my sixth.  I'll be walking (or maybe running, or maybe running and walking, or maybe crawling) in the Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon in October in Hampton, Virginia.  I'll be trying to raise $6,511 along the way.

Yes, there is a reason why I want to raise that amount.  Yes, there is a specific reason that I decided on that particular race.  I'll be discussing those reasons in the near future.  For now, I am trying to get organized to race for a cure once again.  I'm excited about it, about the chance to give back once more and pay it forward in thanks for my good fortune 11 years ago.

GO TEAM!  It's good to be back!

2 comments:

happyone said...

Good luck raising the money. Are you going to put something up on your blog that will let us donate and help you reach your goal?

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Karen. Yep, I sure will. Thanks for asking. I am working on my webpage for raising money but will have that soon.