Saturday, September 3, 2011

Three Weeks Till the 3-Day

Three weeks from right now, I'll be camped out in my little 6.5 by 6.5 foot pink tent for the second night of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I trained today by walking nearly 11 miles, and am feeling a little discouraged. I definitely have more heel pain than I have been having, plus some pain in my left calf. I think that during next weekend's long (18 miles) walk, I am going to have to slow down a bit. Even after icing my foot, I still have a good bit of pain. Even so, I walked over 10 miles, and that would not have been reasonably possible two, three, or four months ago. And is exciting to think of this walk coming up. I just hope that I am somehow ready for it.

I walked about 4 miles on my own, and about 7 miles with my friend Lelia. We started out in Windsor Farms, a beautiful and expensive neighborhood. We walked past impressive Agecroft Hall, a huge Victorian mansion brought over from England brick by brick and stick by stick.
There were a large number of trees and branches down all over the place.
We left Windsor Farms at Lock Lane and walked all over some pretty neighborhoods on the other side of Grove, going along streets that neither Lelia nor I had ever seen before, despite our many long Richmond rambles on foot. Included was this stone house that looked like an English cottage. I considered popping in for tea, but decided that we had miles to go before we steep.

Finally, along Grove, we saw this huge tree down. It had fallen into the house on the left, causing roof damage. I cannot imagine the noise.

No comments: