Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Racing for a Cure Once More

Well, I'm all set! My left foot is about at 85%, meaning I still get some heel pain from the plantar fasciitis but nothing like even a month or so ago - much less four months ago! Too bad I couldn't get in a few more long walks, but I will cope. My bag is all packed. It is amazing how much stuff I had to cram in there: remember, I have to camp out for two nights and had to stuff a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and pillow in there. Friday will be a very early day, as I have to check in between 5AM and 6AM at Nationals Stadium in Washington, DC. The event kicks off at 6:30 AM. Right now, Friday could be wet but the rest of the weekend looks good. The weather will do what it will do. I plan on enjoying the experience, which will be so emotional at times. Racing for a cure again - about 53 miles, it sounds like, a tad bit short of the 60 I expected. I wish I could pick up the phone on Sunday and call Ann, tell her I did what I told her I would do five months ago, especially in her honor.

Last night, I wrote honoree names on my special shirt that I had made with my sister Ann's photo on it. Pink names for those who had breast cancer, blue for the names of those that had some other kind of cancer. It looks pretty nice, I'd say. I will wear this shirt on Sunday. Maybe your name is on this shirt, or the name of a loved one. If so, I am walking for you, for them!

1 comment:

TNTcoach Ken said...

As I write this you're walking to find a cure. Great job as always!! Can't wait to hear the stories....