Thursday, December 30, 2010

A New Year Coming

Here we are, just days from a brand new year, my ninth year since surviving lymphoma. I feel so blessed to be here for 2011, especially as a I know so many people currently suffering from cancer.

My work outs lately have been in shambles. Between things to do for the holidays and cold and snowy weather, the best I have had the discipline to do is a walk now and then, maybe a short run, and a very rare upper body workout. And it is showing, as I've gained at least three or four pounds since Thanksgiving. I have also noticed that the same sneaky son of a gun who was coming in during the middle of the night and replacing my trousers is doing it again. It is really annoying.

I did take a three mile walk on my lunch break yesterday, and two the day before that, plus that same day, I ran a mile on the treadmill and did 16 minutes on the eliptical machine. But that needs to become a habit again. One thing I am learning about myself is that I need that goal out there to force me to run. I need to have that scheduled race. But first, I have to make a final decision on surgery or not for this neuroma. I think I need to do it, but just seem frozen with indecision. My problem is that when I am not running and walking a lot, it is barely noticable, and I get complacent about it, and think it is fine. I think I just need to suck it up and get the surgery. I will have 10 days of sick leave in one more week, and that is the time to do it.

Anyone have any new year resolutions? I am thinking of my goals for next year, and will post those after the new year begins. I think I had too many goals last year and just could not reach them all. So I will try for a more modest list for 2011 (maybe). One thing you can count on: I plan for racing for a cure again in 2011.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

what is it with that trouser fairy? He sure seems to be busy this time of year!

I look forward to following you through the new year. Like you, I've found I need goals and/or races to motivate me to train - hopefully we can both get back into the regular swing of things!

Elayne said...

Hi Art!
If you decide to have your surgery I pray all goes well for you :) Thinking about my new Years resolutions, none set yet though. Just praying for a better year in 2011!2010 was rough :)
Happy New Year to you...look forward to your new list of resolutions!

o2bhiking said...

Hi Shawn - yeah, I think this is the busiest time of year for the "Trouser Fairy." But you'd think he'd get a life, wouldn't you? Good luck with the New Year. Art

o2bhiking said...

Hi Elayne. Happy New Year. I am hoping for a full return to good health for you in 2011. You are way overdue for that, and my sis also. Art