Monday, November 16, 2009

On the Day You Were Born

On the day you were born, it was love at first sight
When you popped into the world just before dawn’s first light
“It’s a fine baby girl,” the tired doctor said
As your mother, exhausted, lay back in her bed

You had ten little fingers, and ten tiny toes
Two eyes of bright blue, and a cute little nose
A fine head of dark hair, which would later turn blond -
A perfect new babe as this November day dawned

Later that day, I held you in my arms
Utterly, totally won by your charms
My precious granddaughter, with your life all ahead:
A sweet, much-loved baby, with nothing to dread

You gripped one of my fingers in your tiny hand
As you slept in my arms. Oh, the feeling was grand!
I gazed at your face, so peaceful in sleep
And wished from all harm you I could always keep

I smiled as I wondered how your life will be
Oh, what things will you learn? What wonders you’ll see?
Will you love art and music, and to read a great book?
Will you go through your life with a cheerful outlook?

Will you be kind to others, both two legged and four?
Will you hike in the mountains and down by the shore?
Will you like to play sports? Will you do well in school?
Will you do the right thing, even though it's not “cool?”

Will I dance at your wedding, should you fall in love?
As I pondered these things, I thanked God up above
That I’m alive and quite healthy, and still on His green earth
And present, right here, on the day of your birth

We cried as we left you, the very next day
For we had to return to our home far away
But no matter how many long miles we’re apart
I will carry my love for you deep in my heart

To my granddaughter on her third birthday, with love, from "Poppa Art"

6 comments:

Elayne said...

Beautiful Art! You are very gifted and sound like a wonderful grandfather!
Elayne

o2bhiking said...

Thanks Elayne, I love being this little girl's grandpa and just wish I lived closer.

o2bhiking said...

Hey Cheryl - I got a spam comment and when trying to delete it, I deleted your comment (and my reply) by mistake, but thanks for the nice comment. Art

happyone said...

Oh what a lovely poem. She is very fortunate to have you as her "Poppa Art" to love her and take her hiking. "-)

Imani said...

Hello Poppa Art,

Your poem is very beautiful. I happened to stumble on it by chance, but I find it very inspiring. I am currently writing a book about a parent/child relationship and have found inspiration in your poem. When I am successful, perhaps I could feature your poem in my manuscript. Best of luck for you and your family in 2010.

Gillian

o2bhiking said...

Hi Gillian - thanks for your kind words about what I wrote. Email me when it gets closer to your manuscript, that sounds nice. Good luck with the book and let me know. Art