Saturday, August 16, 2008

Requiem in Pacem, Leroy!

After I got home from Team in Training, I was so saddened today to learn of the passing last night of Leroy Sievers from colon cancer. He had given it his all, and blogged about his experience for the past two and a half years with great openness, expressing difficult things so eloquently. The world is a poorer place without this courageous man, and I will miss him despite never meeting him in person. And of course I will miss his blog, on which I made the following comment today:

"I am nearly speechless. Leroy's blog has meant so much to so many of us - lucky survivors like me, people going through treatment, significant others of those with cancer. It is unimaginable that we will no longer read his words each day. We will miss him, and we are fortunate that our lives got to intersect with his for this all too short a time.

Laurie, please accept my sorrowful condolences. I promise you that I will write Leroy's name again on my next Team in Training Marathon shirt.

Rest in peace, brave Leroy, and peace be with you, Laurie."

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Art if it helps I to read about Leroy this morning. Its a tough one. I wrote about it on
http://clubsammichcafe.spaces.live.com/
It a tough one Leroy really touched so many of us in the cancer community.

Happyone said...

Art, I am so sorry to hear about your friend dying.

Kerry said...

Thanks Art. I appreciate that you read both blogs. Club Sammich Cafe kinda was born at lunch time with my Hubby durning recovery the third time with lymphoma. I have left it open due to the info there. Many come through there daily not many comments but thats fine to I know people read thats a good thing.
You know I decided a long time ago people make stupid remarks with out understanding cancer touches all ages races and it doesn't matter it still hits hard at any age. I decided to post that post on the person because it hit me that they are not mature enough to get that. And I am not done living yet. 53 isn't old. Regardless of cancer I was a swimmer and runner as well. The later is out but there are so many things I can and will still do. I am so grateful for that as well.
Its amazing how some people still perceive the stigma of cancer isn't it.
Anyways thanks for you comment and yes I have been through a lot but many have daily. Heck so have you and you keep on moving and thats the positive of the experience.Growth.