Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Training in the Presidential Range

July 25, 2007. I just got back from New Hampshire, where I was hiking some of the presidential range with my brother, Nur, as well as with a friend of mine, Dick. Dick is 82, and first gave me the idea of doing this trip when he climbed up Mount Washington a few years ago to celebrate 60 years since he first hiked up there. I hope I am still hiking when I am 82. Anyhow, his celebration a few years ago of going back up Mt. Washington 60 years after his first climb gave me the idea of going up this year to celebrate 40 years since my brother and I climbed the mountain with our dad back in August, 1967. Especially now being a cancer survivor, I am so grateful to be strong enough and healthy enough to climb the mountain, over 6,000 feet above sea level and the highest mountain in the Northeast.

The trip was a lot of fun, and the weather was great. We hiked up Mount Washington, as well as several other mountains, getting on top of five 4,000+ mountains in total. We stayed in the Appalachian Mountain Club huts, which meant we got to sleep in beds and get a great breakfast and dinner. We also didn’t have to carry sleeping bags, tents, stove, cook gear, or much food. It felt great to be alive and healthy enough to do it again now. While not exactly marathon training, strenuous hiking and gaining thousands of feet in elevation is a great workout. Here is a photo of Dick, Nur, and me on top of Mount Pierce early in our second day of hiking. In the background you can see Mount Eisenhower and on the horizon, Mount Washington. We hiked up both of these later in the day:


On our last night, we hiked up Mt. Monroe at dusk and saw a magnicent sunset:




If you want to see many more photos of this trip, go to this link:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0EZN2jRyzZMXGg

No comments: