Monday, July 9, 2007

My Campaign Begins

July 9, 2007. My third annual TNT campaign is now underway! In six months, I'll be doing a marathon in Arizona. In the meantime, I have started my training again, although I am not really sure that I ever totally stopped it. I was a TNT mentor all winter and spring, working with the women and men going to events in Nashville, San Diego, and Anchorage. Since then, I've tried to get out for 3 to 6 mile walks with regularity, and also have done a number of long walks in Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge, along with a few – not enough – hikes in the Shenandoah Mountains. For Labor Day weekend, I need to be ready to do the Virginia Beach Half Marathon, and so will be training intensively for that well before I really would need to get serious for Arizona.

This will be my third marathon for Team in Training. I am now a five-year cancer survivor. In December, I will be in remission for five years, and that makes this marathon a really special one. A lot of cancer patients never make it to five years, but I have, and I've done two marathons along the way. I am one fortunate guy, and if I can raise some money that helps to solve blood cancers to pass that fortune on to someone else, I can't think of a better thing to do.

No comments: